redblueyellow
Swindler

Post by redblueyellow »

i own the tokion print
Backpackpunk
Giant

Barry McGee at Redcat

Post by Backpackpunk »

I went to Downtown LA yesterday and decided to see what was going on at Redcat, to my surprise they were setting up for the Barry McGee show that starts next week. From the work I saw getting set up and lying around the show looks like it is a must see.

http://redcat.org/gallery/0708/mcgee.php
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

rad! please post pics... hopefully it will be slightly more elaborate than his robert pimple show
djayresq
Propaganda Engineer

Post by djayresq »

good looking out!............ I will be there!
How will we ever know how to get up, If we don't know how to get down!
inkdigital
Propaganda Engineer

BARRY McGEE Hits Up LA...

Post by inkdigital »

http://tinyurl.com/2tvdul

Shep and Family attended.
Last edited by inkdigital on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shr3k
Punk

Post by shr3k »

<3
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Barry McGee

Post by Molotov Man »

If you are in LA the 20th of November!
Would be fcuking crazy to miss this!!

BARRY MCGEE LECTURE
Barry McGee will be doing a lecture at the Red Cat Gallery in LA on Tuesday 20th November from 8pm. For further information check out the gallery’s website - http://www.redcat.org. This is an open to the public event.
password
Giant

Re: Barry Mcgee

Post by password »

There's a Barry McGee (along with Blu and Dalek) interview in the current Swindle issue (14). I didn't particularly enjoy the interview, but you guys should check it out if you are a Twist fan. You'll learn why he doesn't have a website; that he oftentimes does not wear underwear; and that he has a book coming up that involves a 100+ color screenprint.
James Reeves
Posse

Post by James Reeves »

I just got this original about 2 months ago:

So now I am trying to sell this print which I have had a little over a year... 16 x 20, ed. 30, stamped and signed $1800

password
Giant

Post by password »

Here's the article:

http://whatyouwrite.wordpress.com/2008/ ... gee-twist/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some excerpts:
-I noticed, not because I was looking, but because I have peripheral vision, you don’t wear underwear. Do you own underwear?
I do. I wore underwear maybe three times this year, once in prison.

-Because it’s kinky now when you wear it?
No, I don’t know why. It’s just another thing that gets in the way.

____

-What’s MDMA?
Like, a drug.

-Is that a drug you would take?
It was an early form of ecstasy I think.

-You took ecstasy in the ‘80s?
I think so…

-But right now you’re pretty much straightedge?
I am?

-Yeah, you don’t do stuff.
I tried to drink a beer last night.

-You’re working on a publication now, right?
Yes, it’s just getting started. It’s called Jesse’s Day. It’s about three straight white males and then Clare and I. It’s gonna have Jesse Gellar, who is from Philadelphia, you and Dan Murphy. It’s going to be 11 x 17 folded, and the covers are going to be 120- color silkscreen. It’s going be highly political, yet provocative, with a feminine touch.
password
Giant

Post by password »

Barry Mcgee & Margaret Kilgallen - Art:21:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... e=search&p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's sad watching the two of them together though. She genuinely seems like a beautiful person. RIP, Margaret Kilgallen
James Reeves
Posse

Post by James Reeves »

yea, old school video... that art 21 video was what made me interested in street/urban/outsider art in the first place back in 2002... I would definitely recommend anyone interested in contemporary art to buy those DVDs
password
Giant

Post by password »

Does anyone know where I can get these RVCA McGee shirts? (besides eBay)

Last edited by password on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password
Giant

Post by password »

If anyone's ever dreamt of owning a Barry Mcgee bicycle, your dreams have come true:

http://www.lamjc.com/index.php?news=1103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xpc
Swindler

Re:

Post by xpc »

password wrote:If anyone's ever dreamt of owning a Barry Mcgee bicycle, your dreams have come true:

http://www.lamjc.com/index.php?news=1103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crazy. :mrgreen:
Backpackpunk
Giant

Re:

Post by Backpackpunk »

password wrote:Does anyone know where I can get these RVCA McGee shirts? (besides eBay)

They were sold at the RedCat show, I think Giant Robot still has some left.

I seriously want that bike, but for that price I would rather have a painted bottle from him.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
maadbeats
Posse

Post by maadbeats »

If anyone is near Pittsburgh, PA. Barry did a major installation at the Carnegie Musuem of Art. The show runs though December.
click on the picture for the slideshow
ENJOI
MY WEB GALLERY:
http://www.provocativeartwork.bigcartel.com
use promo code: GIANTFORUMMEMBER for 5% off
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

What is the short/long term prospects on Barry M.? Does he still have an audience that is growing?
inkdigital
Propaganda Engineer

Post by inkdigital »

ID take an OG Mcgee over anyone else from this genre.
James Reeves
Posse

Re:

Post by James Reeves »

robotoil wrote:What is the short/long term prospects on Barry M.? Does he still have an audience that is growing?

The thing is, he is accepted by the larger art world. If street art goes belly up and his prices will stay the same. Also, 10 years down the road when you don't remember half of the artists we discuss on here every day, Barry will still be remembered.
djemar
Posse

Re: Re:

Post by djemar »

James Reeves wrote:
robotoil wrote:What is the short/long term prospects on Barry M.? Does he still have an audience that is growing?

The thing is, he is accepted by the larger art world. If street art goes belly up and his prices will stay the same. Also, 10 years down the road when you don't remember half of the artists we discuss on here every day, Barry will still be remembered.
I agree 100%.
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

My personal theory on this is as follows:

McGee
KAWS
Shepard Fairey

The 1990's American originals.....Their paths diverged for a while, McGee owning museums and galleries with those sick installations, KAWS owning vinyl toy world(and a good hunk of Japan as well), and Shepard owning the design world. But now, late in the 1st decade of the 21st century, all three have reunited under the one-word banner - LEGEND.

You want three that matter, that truly matter, here they are.