“Spirit of Independence”

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
arthunter999
Swindler

“Spirit of Independence”

Post by arthunter999 »

The “Spirit of Independence” print is being released to celebrate and support Providence's @niceslice_pizzeria, owned by my long time friend and supporter Al Read. With corporate developers putting the squeeze on the neighborhood, Nice Slice was evicted and forced to leave their current location. Al and his partner Rob are working to open a new Nice Slice in a more “up-and-coming” area further west, not far from my old studio. 100% of profits will go to moving and transition expenses for Nice Slice. Thanks for supporting independent businesses and for helping me help my friend! - Shepard

Spirit of Independence. 18 x 24 inches. Screen print on cream Speckle Tone paper. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 400. $45. 300 available Thursday, April 13 at 10AM (PDT) on ObeyGiant.com in Store under Prints and 100 available at Nice Slice in Providence this Saturday, April 15. Purchase limit of 1 per person/household. To learn more about this release, head to ObeyGiant.com now!
taxman
Punk

Re: “Spirit of Independence”

Post by taxman »

Wish he did something fun / different and more pizza related per the fact it is supporting a pizza shop.
stealthninja
Punk

Post by stealthninja »

arthunter999 wrote:The “Spirit of Independence” print is being released to celebrate and support Providence's @niceslice_pizzeria, owned by my long time friend and supporter Al Read. With corporate developers putting the squeeze on the neighborhood, Nice Slice was evicted and forced to leave their current location. Al and his partner Rob are working to open a new Nice Slice in a more “up-and-coming” area further west, not far from my old studio. 100% of profits will go to moving and transition expenses for Nice Slice. Thanks for supporting independent businesses and for helping me help my friend! - Shepard

Spirit of Independence. 18 x 24 inches. Screen print on cream Speckle Tone paper. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 400. $45. 300 available Thursday, April 13 at 10AM (PDT) on ObeyGiant.com in Store under Prints and 100 available at Nice Slice in Providence this Saturday, April 15. Purchase limit of 1 per person/household. To learn more about this release, head to ObeyGiant.com now!
There you go arthunter! another new print for you to flip! lol lol
schmidt
Posse

Post by schmidt »

taxman wrote:Wish he did something fun / different and more pizza related per the fact it is supporting a pizza shop.
The print is of the same mural Shep put up in the Nice Slice in 2009. It's still there too. Unfortunately, not for long...

samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

Some interesting comments over on IG:

davidsloom I am a PVD native and have enjoyed many nice slices back in the day. I'm sorry to hear that they are being squeezed and am looking forward to continue being a patron at their new location. I will NOT however be purchasing one of these prints. The commodification of Black Culture, esp. an icon such as Angela Davis, is unbelievably disrespectful and I can not stand by it. I ask you to kindly reconsider or at least reflect on this when designing future pieces. ::: In support of Nice Slice / not in support of appropriation :::

lu_ling @obeygiant I appreciate your work but how can you post this without giving a central shout out to the brave amazing work of Angela Davis herself? She is a living legacy to be remembered and honored first and forefront, ESPECIALLY if her image is being used for personal fundraising.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Controversy sells i guess.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

pizza too
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Score
eComWizard
Punk

Post by eComWizard »

+1

Sold out in a minute!!
hexterb
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hexterb »

Well that sucked. That thing sold out at like sonic speed. Congrats to all who scored.
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

hexterb wrote:Well that sucked. That thing sold out at like sonic speed. Congrats to all who scored.
Actually Congrats to NICE SLICE! they will live to serve another slice!

goes to show how generous Shepard and the whole obey crew is.
this is a man who never forgets about the people who have helped him succeed.
and on the flip side he probably never forgets his enemies either...
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

eComWizard wrote:+1

Sold out in a minute!!
How much you asking for it?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

samuraiwriter wrote:Some interesting comments over on IG:

davidsloom I am a PVD native and have enjoyed many nice slices back in the day. I'm sorry to hear that they are being squeezed and am looking forward to continue being a patron at their new location. I will NOT however be purchasing one of these prints. The commodification of Black Culture, esp. an icon such as Angela Davis, is unbelievably disrespectful and I can not stand by it. I ask you to kindly reconsider or at least reflect on this when designing future pieces. ::: In support of Nice Slice / not in support of appropriation :::

lu_ling @obeygiant I appreciate your work but how can you post this without giving a central shout out to the brave amazing work of Angela Davis herself? She is a living legacy to be remembered and honored first and forefront, ESPECIALLY if her image is being used for personal fundraising.
Hopefully, these people get drafted for WWIII so they can have something legitimate to complain about. :D
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I didn't bother. It's just a repeat...the original Angela was the bomb.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

submethod wrote:I didn't bother. It's just a repeat...the original Angela was the bomb.