Shepard Fairey AG Soda

Classified ads for those selling merchandise on external sites.
rustyrider
Swindler

Shepard Fairey AG Soda

Post by rustyrider »

jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Shepard Fairey AG Soda

Post by jjttdw »

It will be interesting to see where it settles as an unsigned piece.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

jjttdw wrote:It will be interesting to see where it settles as an unsigned piece.
I agree. I know that these rarely pop up. There was the crazy instance where a guy sold 3 on eBay for way under market value. I think to date there are less than 10 copies (including both grey and white versions) that are accounted for.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

jjttdw wrote:It will be interesting to see where it settles as an unsigned piece.
None of these were signed as they predated his selling of prints.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

spagucci1 wrote:
I agree. I know that these rarely pop up. There was the crazy instance where a guy sold 3 on eBay for way under market value. I think to date there are less than 10 copies (including both grey and white versions) that are accounted for.
When those showed up for cheap on ebay, Helen commented that there were piles of them laying around back in the day (although I'm not speculating as to how many survived). In any event it'll be interesting to see where it lands given that the last sales were so low and the quantity is a complete unknown - few are thus far accounted for but it sounds like a ton were produced.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

aust449 wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
When those showed up for cheap on ebay, Helen commented that there were piles of them laying around back in the day (although I'm not speculating as to how many survived). In any event it'll be interesting to see where it lands given that the last sales were so low and the quantity is a complete unknown - few are thus far accounted for but it sounds like a ton were produced.
True. But there was also a ton of the old Andre Posse variant stickers and how many of those do you see these days? Just because there was X amount of something produced does not mean all survived. Especially when something was produced for the sole reason on being put up on the streets.
rustyrider
Swindler

Post by rustyrider »

In the pictures, from what you all can see, does it look like a legit piece? I would have a hard time spending that much money on an unsigned and un numbered piece without questioning its authenticity. I am not saying its a fake I am just certain there are many more of you here that would be able to distinguish a real and a fake far better than myself.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Considering what the bomber just sold for, I can't imagine anyone paying more than 800 bucks for this.
Last edited by mr Revs on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my T-shirt quilts
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

mr Revs wrote:Considering what the bomber just sold for, I can't imagine anyone paying more than 80 bucks for this.

-agreed! :lol: ec

- i'd say it looks legit for sure..... - i'd also say there is no way in hell i would ever hang that on my wall! :lol:

-then again.... that is just me. Remember , they are essentially unsigned pasters on thicker paper.
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

easycraig wrote:
mr Revs wrote:Considering what the bomber just sold for, I can't imagine anyone paying more than 80 bucks for this.

-agreed! :lol: ec

- i'd say it looks legit for sure..... - i'd also say there is no way in hell i would ever hang that on my wall! :lol:

-then again.... that is just me. Remember , they are essentially unsigned pasters on thicker paper.
Except that they are silkscreens, and are documented as ad marquis replacements for one of Shepard's early propaganda stunts. Andre's mug may be ugly and not aesthetically pleasing to everyone, but you can't ignore the history here. This debate comes up time and time again. It is a polarizing image and the fact that it commands such discussion shows a key dimension of Shepard's artistic intent; to solicit many personal reactions from an essentially meaningless image, using andre to add and remove meaning at the same time.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

I would say it is most likely only polarizing to board members and this is why I think the price for something like this is always going to be very low relative to its age and scarcity
Check out my T-shirt quilts
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

mr Revs wrote:Considering what the bomber just sold for, I can't imagine anyone paying more than 800 bucks for this.
Dont forget that the $850 Bomber had a lot of damage.

mr Revs wrote:I would say it is most likely only polarizing to board members and this is why I think the price for something like this is always going to be very low relative to its age and scarcity
Not true on it being low. In the only recent offering of this print, a board member sold theirs for close to 2k. Like Analog, this print has more of a great historical appeal rather than one with great visual appeal.
Last edited by spagucci1 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

I know of two of these that have fetched very nice prices. I think that it really depends on if the buyer is looking for something more historic and a piece of the campaign or something that looks nice on their walls. People love it or hate it, but it's place in Shepard's history is documented, and that will be enough for some. I think some people wouldn't hang it in their house if you paid them, but it is a cool old school item for the junkies who like way Shepard started. The Cianci billboard was ugly but important enough for some locals to recreate 20 years down the line, and that like AG soda was just another early Shep propaganda stunt.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

- i understand that, but all it really is is a very small early stepping stone to Shepard's rise to fame. If you are chronologically collecting his early work, its a great piece(mandatory) to have in the collection. But if you look at when Shepard started, and where he is now, its just a very early step on the ladder on his way up.

-i think the only reason its polarizing is the because the folks who actually own it always prop it up anytime its mentioned. ( i've got a hard time drinking the kool aid )

- i do dig the board members unwavering support of it.... :D -now all i have to do is get ready for the argument

that it is fine art! :lol: ec

discussion is good.... -and by no means am i necessarily right,- its just my opinion... hope i did not ruffle any tail feathers.... ec :D
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

mr Revs wrote:Considering what the bomber just sold for, I can't imagine anyone paying more than 800 bucks for this.
I would have +1'd ya before you changed it from $80 to $800. :lol:
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Thanks for the commets Craig! It's always nice to hear others thoughts and opinions rather than "it's ugly so it's worthless". I like your analogy of a stepping stone or a rung in the ladder but disagree saying that it is a small one. I am one of those collectors who, through my collection, is trying to convey what work Shep was doing during a certain point in his carreer. What really made this print a must own for me is that it is the perfect example of Shep's propagana work.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

fair enough on the un-constructive criticism... - i do apologize.... -its just that so many of you pine for this thing when it does come around, i feel like i need to stand up for the other side.... :D

i did pull out my 95 Alternate Graphics Catalog and it does have some ads for t-shirts and stickers of your favorite soda pop boy.... -so he must be worth something! ec :D

djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

We have no verification that the one that sold for 2k did sell for 2k. I believe there were issues with one of the sellers credibility. I think that this auction should be fairly telling of where people place this in the canon of Shep's work. Prices on older stuff have risen in some recent auctions, so if people truly feel this is a seminal work then we should see it. I for one never saw Shepard as a propaganda artist in the way that say Kaws was with his distortions. This was kind of a one off thing that Shepard did like the Cianci billboard (Which was recreated awesomely recently btw).
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

djsp wrote:We have no verification that the one that sold for 2k did sell for 2k. I believe there were issues with one of the sellers credibility. I think that this auction should be fairly telling of where people place this in the canon of Shep's work. Prices on older stuff have risen in some recent auctions, so if people truly feel this is a seminal work then we should see it. I for one never saw Shepard as a propaganda artist in the way that say Kaws was with his distortions. This was kind of a one off thing that Shepard did like the Cianci billboard (Which was recreated awesomely recently btw).
How can you say Shep is not a propaganda artist? He is by far more of a propaganda artist than KAWS. Shep's Obama HOPE print was one of if not the biggest propaganda artwork in modern history. I would venture to say that at least 1/2 of Shep's prints are propaganda in nature.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

spagucci1 wrote:
djsp wrote:We have no verification that the one that sold for 2k did sell for 2k. I believe there were issues with one of the sellers credibility. I think that this auction should be fairly telling of where people place this in the canon of Shep's work. Prices on older stuff have risen in some recent auctions, so if people truly feel this is a seminal work then we should see it. I for one never saw Shepard as a propaganda artist in the way that say Kaws was with his distortions. This was kind of a one off thing that Shepard did like the Cianci billboard (Which was recreated awesomely recently btw).
How can you say Shep is not a propaganda artist? He is by far more of a propaganda artist than KAWS. Shep's Obama HOPE print was one of if not the biggest propaganda artwork in modern history. I would venture to say that at least 1/2 of Shep's prints are propaganda in nature.
Read what I wrote again. You are misunderstanding me.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

I would like to see what one of these ends at if it started at .01 cent and they let it go. Unfortunately, with ebay and their current selling/pricing format, it leads to more folks listing items (who are really fishing) for a high price. You can't blame the sellers.... with all the fees being so high.... and i am sure, if you find the right buyer... something will go for an exorbitant price, -but it would be nicer to see what 5-6 bidders thought the value should be.
analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

I know of private sales for $800 and $1400 on the gray version, in addition to the few $250 sales from the aforementioned ebay guy. I agree with your stepping stone post EC. Personally I feel that Shepard gained attention, had fun, and saw potential in what he was doing with these early stunts. He became engaged in witnessing and furthering his experiment in phenomenology through these art stunts and his early street art. While he is in a different realm today, it is hard to say where he would have gone without his rebellious roots and the success of his early efforts to compete with paying advertisers for visual space, whether on billboards, walls, or in the case of AG soda, in ad marquis.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

easycraig wrote:I would like to see what one of these ends at if it started at .01 cent and they let it go. Unfortunately, with ebay and their current selling/pricing format, it leads to more folks listing items (who are really fishing) for a high price. You can't blame the sellers.... with all the fees being so high.... and i am sure, if you find the right buyer... something will go for an exorbitant price, -but it would be nicer to see what 5-6 bidders thought the value should be.
I wouldn't be surprised to see this one sold outside of ebay. A couple times in the past year I've had bids on old prints that were taken down because they were "No Longer Available." In one case, the seller sent me an email saying he was going to sell it to someone else if I did not offer $750 in the next two hours. I didn't get to the email in time. I had a bid in at 1k but the current bid was only $10 over the next closest bid ($250).
rustyrider
Swindler

Post by rustyrider »

Ebay listing has ended. It says it sold for $1800.00.
analogtrash
Giant

Post by analogtrash »

Well waddya know? Far cry from $80...