Bravo art show

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
thentherewasone
Giant

Bravo art show

Post by thentherewasone »

Apparently, there is a new show on Bravo starting tonight, kind of like that Heidi Klum fashion show. http://www.bravotv.com/work-of-art. Could be interesting...could be annoying
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re: Bravo art show

Post by illyanadmc »

i have a friend who tried out for this and didn't make the cut, so i have high expectations for those who did! (meaning, they'd better be either great artists or super crazy characters - or both.)
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

to me, art is not about winning a reality show on tv
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

fribhey wrote:to me, art is not about winning a reality show on tv
Couldnt agree more.
mutant
Posse

Post by mutant »

In principle, YES.

In reality, if you are making a living from your art, I don't think this is a bad idea. If nothing else, being on the show will at least get you some exposure and constructive criticisms from Jerry Saltz. Maybe by the end of the show, you don't have to flip burgers or stack ramen noodle to earn your living, art supplies, studio rental and so on...
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

mutant wrote:
In principle, YES.

In reality, if you are making a living from your art, I don't think this is a bad idea. If nothing else, being on the show will at least get you some exposure and constructive criticisms from Jerry Saltz. Maybe by the end of the show, you don't have to flip burgers or stack ramen noodle to earn your living, art supplies, studio rental and so on...
winning a popularity contest doesn't make you a good artist... it just means that a lot of people watch tv and place celebrity status to those who appear on tv (see paris hilton and the entire "cast" of the jersey shore)

the whole reality show thing works for stuff like pop music because the "pop" stands for popular, as in what the majority listen to, and you can easily tell if someone is a good singer or not. Art is completely subjective and making desperate artists run around on a reality show trying to "win" fame is a complete joke.

you can't earn a respectful art career by winning a contest. the only thing this show is doing is enforcing the perceived notion that the art world is an invitation only closed circle full of snobby elitist pr1cks - which the hosts and judges all were.
mutant
Posse

Post by mutant »

fribhey wrote:
mutant wrote:
In principle, YES.

winning a popularity contest doesn't make you a good artist... it just means that a lot of people watch tv and place celebrity status to those who appear on tv (see paris hilton and the entire "cast" of the jersey shore)

the whole reality show thing works for stuff like pop music because the "pop" stands for popular, as in what the majority listen to, and you can easily tell if someone is a good singer or not. Art is completely subjective and making desperate artists run around on a reality show trying to "win" fame is a complete joke.

you can't earn a respectful art career by winning a contest. the only thing this show is doing is enforcing the perceived notion that the art world is an invitation only closed circle full of snobby elitist pr1cks - which the hosts and judges all were.
If you re-read my post, I am not arguing whether winning a popularity contest would make you a "good" artist. I simply point out that this show offers studio-practicing artists an outlet for their exposures. If you put yourself in their shoes, maybe being on the show will give them a chance to get gallery representation and an opportunity to learn how their approaches to art are being critically viewed.

As a bystander who happens to enjoy art and watches this show, you certainly do not have to agree with the "elitist pr1cks" that you referred by your post. As you said it yourself and rightfully so, art is subjective and this is what makes it interesting to watch.
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

fribhey wrote:
It really isn't like Survivor or some of the others. The judges/critics are the only ones voting which makes way more sense for an art show.

Some of the work was interesting, some of it wasn't
password
Giant

Post by password »

This is really a straw man argument because they are not competing in order to prove what art is or is not about.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

I remember seeing the call for this show. A friend invited me to go with her to audition. I read the write up and said, I'm not ready for that yet. The guy with the clown proved that, but his self portrait was amazing. And there is no such thing as bad publicity. Getting thousands exposed to your art would allow a much better chance of developing a following. Interesting to hear the judges talk about art regardless. So, I think I'll watch for now.
Submit. Rapture.
James Reeves
Posse

Post by James Reeves »

fribhey wrote:
I finally caught the first episode... interesting idea, and I was more impressed with a number of the artists then I thought I'd be. The Jeff Koons girl cracks me up; you can tell she is a Koons studio assistant by the way she paints. Very slick but no concept. I feel like this is going to be a male dominated show towards the end.

I also thought this little snippet from fribhey's post was pretty funny. I can't help but feel like the pop music reference fits well with the "urban art" scene. Street art is completely like pop music! The genre is made up of artists developing a recognizable style [just like pop musicians create a sound], so that when you see it on the streets [or hear it on the radio] you instantly recognize the artist. It has to be catchy, grab your attention, and easy to understand [like a 3 chord tune]. It's fairly formulaic, almost always figurative, and experimentation isn't encouraged because you are trying to appeal to the largest number of people possible from your target audience [same goes for pop music].

So in essence, I think this show would actually work BETTER if it was the search for the next great URBAN artist! It would just be much more cohesive.
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

James Reeves wrote:So in essence, I think this show would actually work BETTER if it was the search for the next great URBAN artist! It would just be much more cohesive.
I wouldn't be surprised if a show like this is already in production.
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
spiff huxtable
Propaganda Engineer

Bravo's Work Of Art

Post by spiff huxtable »

Anyone watching Work Of Art on Bravo. It is fantastic and horrible all at the same time.

I enjoy watching the process and seeing the final work.

However, so much about the judging/judges and interviews is so terribly cliche.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

MERG'D
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

Unfortunately, I've been watching it (or at least the first 3 episodes).

I'm a big fan of Abdi so far. He's a really creative artist and even his failures (the Frankenstien cover) show his talent. Miles has been my pick to win since the first episode; the guy is extremely smart, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to punch him in his smug little hipster nose.
spiff huxtable
Propaganda Engineer

Post by spiff huxtable »

Solar wrote:Unfortunately, I've been watching it (or at least the first 3 episodes).

I'm a big fan of Abdi so far. He's a really creative artist and even his failures (the Frankenstien cover) show his talent. Miles has been my pick to win since the first episode; the guy is extremely smart, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to punch him in his smug little hipster nose.
I like Abdi as well. Especially after seeing the "shock" episode. Nice to see someone didn't default to a concept that a 13 year old kid would consider shocking.

My bad on the new thread--thanks for the merge.
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Post by kingburdy »

For what it is the show is entertaining and funny to watch. The younger artists seem to be the most creative and flexible when it comes to the different subject matter. I like Abdi also he has really exciting and has authentic energy and its fun to hear and watch him go through his creative process. My brother has been skateboarding with Miles and says he's a nice guy. I think he's to aware of his talent and comes off as way to cocky and di1ckish. Can you believe he busted a nut on his Micky Mouse piece, wowzers! That chick with the rabbit ears outfit annoys the hell out of me..
spiff huxtable
Propaganda Engineer

Post by spiff huxtable »

I've been liking the show less and less, but I think it has caught the eye of the art world, and I hope they have more talented artists next season. And that they give the artists more time to execute: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 02,00.html
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

what did you guys think of the finale? i'm glad that miles didn't win, and i am really happy for abdi, but peregrine's show was my favorite of the three. i LOVED the series of frames and the small paintings (the girls vomiting, etc.), which i think is kind of funny because that's the stuff that the judges liked the least. i think i was just surprised by her - i did not expect her to make it to the finale, and i hadn't paid too much attention to her during the season. abdi's stuff was very well executed, to be sure, but it didn't "wow" me.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

You have to remember that you are seeing the art via TV, I think the impact was probably very different in person. I think Peregrine may have won if her work had been edited better. One freak show photo, while cool, didn't fit in with the remainder of her work and she didn't do the photography herself. (How much would I LOVE to own those two deer though!?) It would be easy to make her vomit drawings into a book. I thought it was funny that Miles didn't come out to congratulate the winner. I didn't think his work was polished and I'm glad to see that thought echoed by the judges. I would like to Abdi move past his narcism though and stop doing self portraits.

Look forward to seeing another season of this show. I think it will improve, but I'd like to see the artists given more time to complete work. At least two people were eliminated because of sheer time factor and not being able to complete an artwork in 12 hours.
Submit. Rapture.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

I've always disliked reality shows and TV for that matter, in fact we haven't participated in the whole TV thing for over 2 years, however we recently opted for the cable hookup, under child pressure. Anyway, one of the first things we tuned in to was this reality art show, and I think it must have been the "Shock" episode. After viewing about 10 minutes of it I really couldn't take it anymore and shut it off. The next morning I mentioned to my wife... "I think we made a mistake".

The sticker "Kill your TV" makes perfect sense to me.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

MunkeyPants wrote:I thought it was funny that Miles didn't come out to congratulate the winner.
i am pretty sure he did - at first, i thought the same thing as you, but then i think i saw him on the left side of the crowd of people who were streaming in.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Both the She Monkey and I were thinking Peregrine's final show would win it for her. And while Miles was often an a^s, we both felt his work was more consistently high-caliber, throughout. We liked Abdi's final two shows but his tendency to not manage his time well drove me batty, but not as batty as the Koons slut did just generally.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
ritedere
Giant

Post by ritedere »

I thought Miles was strongest overall, but Abdi deserved the win for his final show.

The one thing that bothered me the most about the challenges was the # of group challenges. I know that with all these reality shows they like to throw the contestants into groups to create drama, but it makes a little more sense with cooking shows or something than an art show.
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

Casting call for season 2

http://www.bravotv.com/CASTING%20
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....