my thoughts on Obey Giant

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Shepard cant be totally clueless that he is putting out crepe.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Bonesy wrote:Shepard cant be totally clueless that he is putting out crepe.
perhaps this is another "experiment"
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

Gigantico wrote:
robotoil wrote:
noverflow wrote:I disagree. Shepard said the reason he was glad he did not make his living off of OG was that he could put out the prints that he wanted to without worrying if people would like it.

rollcameraandaction wrote:This is a great discussion. If some of you really feel this way, let Shepard know. It is kind of like your government...if you don't agree with things your government is doing, stop complaining and write or march or whatever. (That is if you can write or protest without being taken away or shot.)

These recent weeks of "bad" prints have been on many people's minds right now. It is very good to have a discussion about this and see where many people stand on this issue.
Yes, I don't think it would be a good thing to discuss with the artist. Unless you are commissioning a piece, you should not tell the artist what to do. Let's play this out one other way. Would you think to contact Dave Kinsey in the same way? You get what you get and if you don't like it don't buy it.
I agree, with any commodity, your strongest statement is the one you make with your wallet.
Here Here! Good couple of responses!
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

robotoil wrote:
noverflow wrote:I disagree. Shepard said the reason he was glad he did not make his living off of OG was that he could put out the prints that he wanted to without worrying if people would like it.

rollcameraandaction wrote:This is a great discussion. If some of you really feel this way, let Shepard know. It is kind of like your government...if you don't agree with things your government is doing, stop complaining and write or march or whatever. (That is if you can write or protest without being taken away or shot.)

These recent weeks of "bad" prints have been on many people's minds right now. It is very good to have a discussion about this and see where many people stand on this issue.
Yes, I don't think it would be a good thing to discuss with the artist. Unless you are commissioning a piece, you should not tell the artist what to do. Let's play this out one other way. Would you think to contact Dave Kinsey in the same way? You get what you get and if you don't like it don't buy it.
capitalism sorts this sort of thing out, sooner or later it will...
rollcameraandaction
Giant

Post by rollcameraandaction »

shepard has always encouraged discussion about his prints as we saw with that email response on the homepage of OG. i personally will continue to let my wallet do the talking as my wallet thanks shepard for allowing it to take some time off. :)
"Be disciplined in your life so you can be violent and original in your art."
rollcameraandaction
Giant

swellstylez wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
robotoil wrote:

I agree, with any commodity, your strongest statement is the one you make with your wallet.
all very valid points. it just kinda sucks that shepard doesnt know what his fans think about his recent prints when so many people have such strong opinions. rather than write shepard about making "bad" prints, encourage him to put out ones like he used to and bring back old concepts like andre, "GIANT", revolutionaries, commies, etc. that kind of writing to the artist could def not hurt.
duttysean
Punk

Post by duttysean »

rollcameraandaction wrote:
swellstylez wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
robotoil wrote:

all very valid points. it just kinda sucks that shepard doesnt know what his fans think about his recent prints when so many people have such strong opinions. rather than write shepard about making "bad" prints, encourage him to put out ones like he used to and bring back old concepts like andre, "GIANT", revolutionaries, commies, etc. that kind of writing to the artist could def not hurt.
That's an excellent idea
duttysean
Punk

Post by duttysean »

Hopefully with all of our constructive criticism, we can see a return to the quality of the prints from the glory days of OG.

To anyone at OG that is reading this: I have been a fan since the beginning, I own a bunch of prints, many decorate the walls of my house. (I write this post with biggie red right over my shoulder in my living room) I've always been behind the movement, and I'd just like to see more of what made Obey Giant so amazing in the past. I say all of this as a friend with genuine care and respect for all of Shep's work.
rollcameraandaction
Giant

robotoil wrote:
duttysean wrote:
rollcameraandaction wrote:
swellstylez wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
robotoil wrote:

That's an excellent idea
If you don't believe that this board is monitored by someone over at OG you are mistaken. Fact.
oh i believe it...we have jason, weston, amanda registered here....who knows what other OG staff check this site.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

[quote="robotoil]
If you don't believe that this board is monitored by someone over at OG you are mistaken. Fact.[/quote]

Exaclty the reason for the continuation of the bomb boarder.
The joke's on us.
Funny isn't it?
Last edited by PDC on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

"Crepe" is being somewhat harsh. This has been a really good year for quality Obey prints. There has been some filler here and there. Although, that's good for the "Noobs", as MrMurk would say. Let them get a few in their collection also.

I know a lot of people thinks it's easy to design these posters but I would like to see someone on this board create a poster as compelling and visually effective as 11th Hour in a week. Maybe a new contest?
It wasn't my cup of tea because of the advertisement but it was a really nice poster none the less. And yes, I did prefer the original wheat version.
:wink:
TinManOne
Giant

Post by TinManOne »

PDC wrote:I know a lot of people thinks it's easy to design these posters but I would like to see someone on this board create a poster as compelling and visually effective as 11th Hour in a week. Maybe a new contest?...
Id like to try... :P
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

TinManOne wrote:
PDC wrote:I know a lot of people thinks it's easy to design these posters but I would like to see someone on this board create a poster as compelling and visually effective as 11th Hour in a week. Maybe a new contest?...
Id like to try... :P
Hook us up!

It would be fun to make this a friendly contest.
Maybe Jason will award the winner with another retired stencil.
DZEL
Giant

Post by DZEL »

i'll knock one out for nothing!
catch23
Propaganda Engineer

Post by catch23 »

PDC wrote:
"Crepe" is being somewhat harsh. This has been a really good year for quality Obey prints. There has been some filler here and there. Although, that's good for the "Noobs", as MrMurk would say. Let them get a few in their collection also.

I know a lot of people thinks it's easy to design these posters but I would like to see someone on this board create a poster as compelling and visually effective as 11th Hour in a week. Maybe a new contest?
It wasn't my cup of tea because of the advertisement but it was a really nice poster none the less. And yes, I did prefer the original wheat version.
Finally the response I have been looking for. A lot of board members here say it's constructive criticism but what about all the comments here that read "I think Shepard’s recent work SUCKS" or "No creativity at all. I could train my little sister to make Obey Giant prints." etc, etc. Yeah, I too haven't liked some of his prints lately but I'm not saying it's not creative. I agree with PDC, If you really think you can do better make a print then, as a matter of fact ask your creative little sister to make one. We have a whole section where people could put up their art.

As far as telling the artist that his work is lacking, I say either don't buy his art or leave the guy alone. Artist are free to express themselves creatively to their standards, not yours. It's not like I go to my favorite artists and tell them how to draw and design their work. And if you still can't live without getting a good piece of art every week, well then you can check out various other artist here, you're bound to find another that you like.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

"Crepe" is being somewhat harsh. This has been a really good year for quality Obey prints. There has been some filler here and there.
When someone is producing so much work Im sure they can look back and recognize that some is better than others and that some of it may even have been crepe (or call it "filler" if you prefer, whatever.)
You guys know I have mountains of love for Shepard's body of work.
TheDon
Swindler

Post by TheDon »

maybe this is the shepard thinks his art is evolving?
we are the followers of jimmy jones cutting in the koolaid line
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Great thread here everyone....and for the record, I read this thread out of curiosity and on my own time, not as a 'patrolling' employee on the OG clock. The reason I think this thread is so good is that people are stating their personal opinions and backing those opinions up with (relatively) objective examples (as opposed to just emotion-charged, knee-jerk, flaming posts). I agree with a lot of things stated here and, conversely, disagree with a lot of things, too. The real POINT of my post is, as Shepard stated, "Being outspoken and willing to stand for what you believe in are things I’ve always encouraged."
Propaganda Minister
Punk

Post by Propaganda Minister »

I am new to The Giant as a member but have been collecting a few months and have quickly put together a nice collection. I was thrilled the first time I was able to scramble home on a Tuesday and buy right from the site.
But as a painter I also know that not everything you do is going to be well recieved, even work I liked five years ago doesn't look as good now that I've evolved and absorbed influence from dozens of different sources. When I had my first show the gallery owner was much less impressed with my new work than he was with older work and I really thought my new work was better than anything I had done before.
I personally think Shepard's work this year has been very good but there have been pieces that were outstanding and it's these pieces that may make the others look weak by comparison, also I get the sense that some people are divided along the lines of style. The people who like intricate pieces may not care for the more dramatic pieces that are very painterly and blur the lines between print and painting and that's okay because we can all indulge based on taste.
But I like the idea that every week something new will be out and already it's changing a little, there was no print issued a few weeks ago and then PP offset and now this week a board, it's cool that everyone gets a crack at what they like. Picasso said that painting was for him like keeping a diary and also he warned other painters not to fall in love with their work because there's always room for improvement.
I know from experience that you can't paint to an audience, it doesn't work. There will always be someone who is disapointed and others who want more of the same and I think that Shep's collectors are diverse enough that he simply can't please all of us all the time, and he knows that so instead he puts out what he likes and hopes we do too. :)
"Artists don't really see their work until someone takes it and puts it up on the wall someplace"-James Rosenquist 2003.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Nice post.

Really.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.