Mark Ryden

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
Bonesy
Giant

New Mark Ryden

Post by Bonesy »

Dont know if anyone else here digs Ryden's work- he has a new beutifully framed $3,000 print going on sale next week.
http://www.markryden.com/
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

nice. i love ryden!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
JTK
Swindler

Post by JTK »

That's a sharp print, and not a bad deal considering the edition and frame. Alas, my budget was was gone the moment I walked out of MK Gallery.
Perplexed
Punk

Post by Perplexed »

My ex got the The Birth print when we broke up.

Still hurts.
smartussi
Giant

Post by smartussi »

Sold out before I could finish my check out...they stole it back out of my cart :x
djsp
Giant

Mark Ryden

Post by djsp »

Looking to get some of his prints. Does anyone know where they have seen any other than ebay? Not trusting most of the stuff found on ebay. Thanks.
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

Mark Ryden Prints are pretty hard to come by and like Obey Giant prints pretty much the only place to get them for a fair price is ebay I know a while back http://www.earlmcgrathgallery.com had some but they were pretty over priced. Your best bet is to watch ebay and make sure the item comes with a COA or some proof that it was from Porterhouse, something like a receipt or one of Ryden's packing labels. I have bought two of his giclees over the past year one was The Debutante and I got it for like $1,400 and the other Christina $1,200 which is an amazing print, I ended up selling The Debutante though a few months later for $3000 which was awesome, but I wont ever sell Christina since she is one of the favorites of my art collection. My only advice is to not buy in the months of Nov-Jan as its Christmas time and prices sky rocket. He also doesnt release as many prints as Obey Giant so they are pretty hard to find since most people only sell if they absolutely have to, I am lucky to have two of his giclees I have the one from the Fushigi Circus box set as well.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

baxterpop wrote:Mark Ryden Prints are pretty hard to come by and like Obey Giant prints pretty much the only place to get them for a fair price is ebay I know a while back http://www.earlmcgrathgallery.com had some but they were pretty over priced. Your best bet is to watch ebay and make sure the item comes with a COA or some proof that it was from Porterhouse, something like a receipt or one of Ryden's packing labels. I have bought two of his giclees over the past year one was The Debutante and I got it for like $1,400 and the other Christina $1,200 which is an amazing print, I ended up selling The Debutante though a few months later for $3000 which was awesome, but I wont ever sell Christina since she is one of the favorites of my art collection. My only advice is to not buy in the months of Nov-Jan as its Christmas time and prices sky rocket. He also doesnt release as many prints as Obey Giant so they are pretty hard to find since most people only sell if they absolutely have to, I am lucky to have two of his giclees I have the one from the Fushigi Circus box set as well.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for all the info. I mean I have no problem buying on ebay, but most of it is sketchy. Real stuff seems few and far between. Thanks again.
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

Most of the cheaper prints are very legit on ebay, watch out for images cut out of books though since a lot of his paintings arent released as prints some people cut images out of books and sell them as prints. I watch the stuff quite frequently and really for the amount of items on there there arent many fakes.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

baxterpop wrote:Most of the cheaper prints are very legit on ebay, watch out for images cut out of books though since a lot of his paintings arent released as prints some people cut images out of books and sell them as prints. I watch the stuff quite frequently and really for the amount of items on there there arent many fakes.

Ahh good to know. You are a great help. Thanks again.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

Hey D, you might also want to, (if you haven't already) is get on the Porterhouse mailing list. They will let you know when a new print is going to be released. I picked up the Rosie's Tea Party print which is a huge litho, I believe, at a really good price I thought for a Ryden print. And ditto to what baxterpop said be very carefull what people are selling on ebay. You can usually tell if the print is cut out of one of his books by the price is as they are usually under a $100. If you're looking for some entry level prints the Blood Sweat & Tears or the Rosies Tea Bunny I think are the inexpensive ones right now.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

djsp wrote:
baxterpop wrote:Mark Ryden Prints are pretty hard to come by and like Obey Giant prints pretty much the only place to get them for a fair price is ebay I know a while back http://www.earlmcgrathgallery.com had some but they were pretty over priced. Your best bet is to watch ebay and make sure the item comes with a COA or some proof that it was from Porterhouse, something like a receipt or one of Ryden's packing labels. I have bought two of his giclees over the past year one was The Debutante and I got it for like $1,400 and the other Christina $1,200 which is an amazing print, I ended up selling The Debutante though a few months later for $3000 which was awesome, but I wont ever sell Christina since she is one of the favorites of my art collection. My only advice is to not buy in the months of Nov-Jan as its Christmas time and prices sky rocket. He also doesnt release as many prints as Obey Giant so they are pretty hard to find since most people only sell if they absolutely have to, I am lucky to have two of his giclees I have the one from the Fushigi Circus box set as well.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for all the info. I mean I have no problem buying on ebay, but most of it is sketchy. Real stuff seems few and far between. Thanks again.

I wouldnt overly worry about Ryden fakes on ebay. Sure you got to be careful about anything on ebay but to be honest Ive never heard of a Ryden fake in the few years Ive been following and reading up on his goods. I have The Creatrix, its beautiful and I will never sell it :)
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

this is a good example of what is most likely a fake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/mark-ryden-16x20-ca ... dZViewItem

Doesnt list where it was purchased, no real photo, only stock images from the artists site, no COA, very vague description.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

Yes, I've never seen any Ryden fakes on ebay but if I wanted to by a page out of a book I'd probably just buy the book even though it might cost me a couple $$$
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

I would say it is 100% fake:

This auction is for a reproduced print of the Californian pop-surreallist
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

Bonesy wrote:
djsp wrote:

I wouldnt overly worry about Ryden fakes on ebay. Sure you got to be careful about anything on ebay but to be honest Ive never heard of a Ryden fake in the few years Ive been following and reading up on his goods. I have The Creatrix, its beautiful and I will never sell it :)

yea I tried hard to get The Creatrix when it released, but just couldnt spend a grand for a litho, if it were a giclee I would have been all over it.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

toyroom wrote:Hey D, you might also want to, (if you haven't already) is get on the Porterhouse mailing list. They will let you know when a new print is going to be released. I picked up the Rosie's Tea Party print which is a huge litho, I believe, at a really good price I thought for a Ryden print. And ditto to what baxterpop said be very carefull what people are selling on ebay. You can usually tell if the print is cut out of one of his books by the price is as they are usually under a $100. If you're looking for some entry level prints the Blood Sweat & Tears or the Rosies Tea Bunny I think are the inexpensive ones right now.

Thanks Toyroom and everyone else for the info. Much appreciated. I think I will follow Toyroom's suggestion and hop on the Porterhouse mailing list.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

baxterpop wrote:
Bonesy wrote:
djsp wrote:

yea I tried hard to get The Creatrix when it released, but just couldnt spend a grand for a litho, if it were a giclee I would have been all over it.

It was $200 from Porterhouse :)
Bonesy
Giant

Re: Mark Ryden

Post by Bonesy »

djsp wrote:Looking to get some of his prints. Does anyone know where they have seen any other than ebay? Not trusting most of the stuff found on ebay. Thanks.

Youre in CA, be sure to check out the Tree Show. Smarty and I flew out for the opening, it was amazing.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

The Tree show looked amazing. His paintings are mega bucks.
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

Bonesy wrote:
baxterpop wrote:
Bonesy wrote:
djsp wrote:

It was $200 from Porterhouse :)

yea I tried to get one but they sold so quick, the next week they were going for $1400 on ebay, not gonna spend that much on a litho.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

robotoil wrote:The Tree show looked amazing. His paintings are mega bucks.

And I would say a very solid investment if you can afford to play. Hes got mad skills and really in a class of his own (with many that try to compete).
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Ryden

Post by superfly snuka »

Try - L Imagerie gallery on Ventura Blvd. in Los Angeles. Debi knows her garbage , she has originals and all of the prints, but they are in the $2000 - 5000 range. She has his drawings too...and the Pumpkin President original!

I was there over the weekend and she had prints I never knew existed by Ryden and I have collected his stuff for 10 years...Ryden rules!

Good luck!
JTK
Swindler

New Mark Ryden up at Porterhouse

Post by JTK »

$500 ed. of 500
mrchopchop
Swindler

Post by mrchopchop »

anybody get one?
I wear loose fitting jeans cause my balls overheat