Jack Healey - Create Your Future

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
quiksilvr22
Punk

Jack Healey - Create Your Future

Post by quiksilvr22 »

Jack Healey is the former director of Amnesty International and has always been an outspoken human rights activist and supporter. He’s the one that encouraged me to create a poster of Aung San Suu Kyi to bring awareness to the human rights cause in Burma. Jack was friends with Joe Strummer and is friends with Antonino D’Ambrosio whom I worked with on the film “Let Fury Have the Hour.” He’s a great man with a lifetime record of fighting oppression and I’m happy to support him help get his memoir completed. Please support Jack and contribute to his campaign. Thanks for caring. - Shepard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/28 ... nav_search
To talk goodness is not good. Only to do it is.
rlbchef
Giant

Re: Jack Healey - Create Your Future

Post by rlbchef »

no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

I ordered the ASSK print and it came damaged (rolled in a very small tube and what looks like water damage).

E-mailed to see if they would send me a new one and Jack Healey himself actually e-mailed me back. I guess he does everything on his own. Felt bad and just kept the print as is.

So temper your expectations.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

no1gdman wrote:I ordered the ASSK print and it came damaged (rolled in a very small tube and what looks like water damage).

E-mailed to see if they would send me a new one and Jack Healey himself actually e-mailed me back. I guess he does everything on his own. Felt bad and just kept the print as is.

Near exact experience as myself , he seems like a real nice guy but in over his head with regards poster packing and innocently admitted that loads were getting damaged in the us mail , it didn't seem appropriate to try and explain what the real problem was to him as I didn't think it was going to light a bulb in his head over this issue.

He offered an exchange if I returned the print (I used a PB as it was sales within USA only) but in all honesty the replacement would have probably been the same , so I the end I offered him the solution of a $50 refund and we could call it quits.

So , yes , as you say , temper your expectations and you should be fine , it more than likely will come in in a lesser condition than we would normally like but he's an elderly gentleman doing it for all the right reasons and good cause so cut him some slack when it arrives.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

Fattyramone wrote:
no1gdman wrote:I ordered the ASSK print and it came damaged (rolled in a very small tube and what looks like water damage).

Near exact experience as myself , he seems like a real nice guy but in over his head with regards poster packing and innocently admitted that loads were getting damaged in the us mail , it didn't seem appropriate to try and explain what the real problem was to him as I didn't think it was going to light a bulb in his head over this issue.

He offered an exchange if I returned the print (I used a PB as it was sales within USA only) but in all honesty the replacement would have probably been the same , so I the end I offered him the solution of a $50 refund and we could call it quits.

So , yes , as you say , temper your expectations and you should be fine , it more than likely will come in in a lesser condition than we would normally like but he's an elderly gentleman doing it for all the right reasons and good cause so cut him some slack when it arrives.
Would've been cool of Obey to handle the shipping for him. I thought it was crazy that he was doing it himself. Real nice guy though and definitely doing it for all the right reasons.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

Yeah , I've no doubt Obey would have done that for him if he had asked or they known about his limitations of satisfying a bunch of poster nerds and their over-expectations.....it was only 100 after all so it wouldn't have been a huge inconvenience.

I just think he got caught out with our fastidiousness over printed paper when to him it was just about rolling up some posters as quick as possible in as cheap a tube as possible and "bam" it was done.....I still don't think even now he understands what's causing the problems...and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

At $105 +$20 postage to the UK from my PB , it was just a bit too much for a damaged product without understanding his circumstances , once I got a feeling for what was going on I could accept the partial refund (it will still cost me $70 with UK postage ) and call it day and move on.
arthunter999
Swindler

Post by arthunter999 »

Same story here, except mine ripped on the way out of the tube due to some sort of adhesive on the interior of the tube. Also had a giant black sharpie like marker mark on his face. I was already having a terrible day and ended up crumpling it up into a ball and into the trash. At least the funds went to a good cause. :?
libertarian
Propaganda Engineer

Post by libertarian »

Fattyramone wrote:I just think he got caught out with our fastidiousness over printed paper when to him it was just about rolling up some posters as quick as possible in as cheap a tube as possible and "bam" it was done.....
Well the other side of that is...what does he think people are paying $100 (or even now $50) for? Some piece of bent up garbage to thumbtack to the wall? Okay - so why is anybody even signing/numbering it then, if it's Target throwaway wall art? Yeah sure, "bam" and done, for him to collect $100 but if the whole thing is (in his mind) really just a vehicle for donation, then put the donate button up and listen for the crickets. Maybe not a nice way for the world to work, but that is basically how it works.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

I do understand your point , honestly I do , and if truth be told I was as annoyed as billyo when I first got word of how it had arrived and my first email when I was still under the impression I was dealing with a corporate entity that should know better was to lay it on thick in my complaining , but his reply was courteous , understanding and apologetic this disarmed me and brought out a better understanding of what I was dealing with....a slightly frail older gentleman who is trying his best but failing my (our) nerd-like instincts.

He immediately offered me a full refund or replacement , by this time I had got wind of others having the exact same issues , so in reality a replacement would have resulted in the same problem just 2 weeks later down the road.

So given that I wanted this print my dilemma was to get the total refund or barguin for a 50% reduction which he happily gave ,again with much apologies and I called it a day on the issue.

I don't think there's a shred of malice or knowing in his inability to do right by us, he just packed a poster to the standards my mother would have done , like your mother would have done , like all our mothers would have done....and that's it really.

Nothing's going to change now , all these prints are going to be packed with older , frailer hands (I think he is in his 80's?) and will more than likey arrive slightly damaged and trying to impose an standard of excellence that we expect onto an older guy who doesn't understand what's causing the problems isn't going to work.

Anyway , you've all been warned , good luck
libertarian
Propaganda Engineer

Post by libertarian »

I think we all need to find the single best YouTube video for packing prints and agree when this comes up in the future, any artist, any seller, the first person to get a bad print (due to bad packing) - just point them to the video. That will stop the bleeding on their end immediately and new orders are fulfilled correctly and alleviate the whole "why bother getting a replacement, it will arrive just as bad" scenario. Same for eBay when you buy from some dude with feedback of 3 or account opened last week. Good for everyone, no?
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

Took a gamble on this when i saw on sale. Just got today, lucky that there is only a small mend on corner. Will be gone once flattened out.

I didn't hear about the stories until after I bought it. Definitely dodged a bullet
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Should the thread be titled "Crease Your Future?"