Warrant for Shep's Arrest in the Motor City

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
odor31
Punk

Detroit: Police issue felony arrest warrant for Fairey

Post by odor31 »

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /29239929/

Famed street artist Shepard Fairey, who visited Detroit last month to create the largest mural of his career, now faces felony charges that he tagged other properties across the city on his own time.

A warrant for his arrest was filed in 36th District Court on Friday. He faces two counts of malicious destruction of property, which bring a maximum penalty of five years in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Police said that the next time he comes back to Detroit, they will arrest him if he doesn't turn himself in first.

"Just because he is a well known artist, does not take away the fact that he is also a vandal," said Detroit Police Sgt. Rebecca McKay, who oversees the city's graffiti task force. "And that's what we consider was done in these instances, was vandalism."

Fairey had already told the Free Press he intended to leave illegal marks in the city. He arrived in May to paint the 18-story mural on One Campus Martius for Dan Gilbert's Bedrock Real Estate Services and others, but before the work began, he said he would be doing more.

"I still do stuff on the street without permission. I'll be doing stuff on the street when I'm in Detroit," Fairey said last month.

His signature black-and-white Andre the Giant face had since appeared on several buildings downtown, in Eastern Market and along Jefferson Avenue.

A spokeswoman with Bedrock Real Estate Services, Robin Schwartz, declined to comment on the arrest warrant Wednesday. Bedrock Executive Vice President Dan Mullen has previously told the Free Press, "I definitely do not promote any unsanctioned work."

Police say that Fairey pasted nine posters with his own iconic symbols like Andre the Giant and other images between May 16 and 22. The various posters measured roughly square in size, and measured four or so feet in height and width.

The total amount of damages that police say he has caused: $9,105.54.

Police also suspect that Fairey tagged several more properties -- up to 14 in total -- but only nine of the locations had owners who were reachable and interested in pressing charges, McKay said.

Fairey is based in Los Angeles, and last came to Detroit in the early 2000s, when he tagged public and private spaces without permission. He has said it was considered a coup to get to make work that at times might be at odds with other aspects of a company's profile.

A spokesperson for Fairey said by email that the artist is "currently traveling out of the country," and that a representative would get in touch at a later date.

Robert Allen and Katrease Stafford contributed reporting.
jak88
Giant

Warrant for Shep's Arrest in the Motor City

Post by jak88 »

Saw this posted elsewhere but thought I'd share ...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit ... ard-fairey

Revolution
Swindler

Re: Warrant for Shep's Arrest in the Motor City

Post by Revolution »

Go figure! Only in Detroit...I live here & they have so many other fish to fry but choose to make an issue out of nothing. People here are becoming more & more petty, but that seems to be the nation as a whole...anything to make a buck in our broke, corrupt city. How about targeting the true criminals & clean up the streets chief!
weston
Posse

Post by weston »

jak88 wrote:Saw this posted elsewhere but thought I'd share ...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit ... ard-fairey

that video was awesome. But the comments are the best on that page.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

weston wrote: that video was awesome. But the comments are the best on that page.

Robert Millman has no posse.
Who's got my old stickers?
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Did I miss the part where Banksy had a warrant issued for his arrest for tagging in Detroit?
turnsintoashes
Punk

Post by turnsintoashes »

jjttdw wrote:Did I miss the part where Banksy had a warrant issued for his arrest for tagging in Detroit?
Basically every graffiti/street artist that visits Detroit does illegal work along with commissioned stuff. Seems like they're trying to make an example of Shepard...
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

At least his probation was up from the AP fiasco. Now all he has to do is avoid Detroit which should be nice and easy.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

10k to clean it up?
Don't they know SF is good for tourism? Dummies.
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

Revolution wrote:Go figure! Only in Detroit...I live here & they have so many other fish to fry but choose to make an issue out of nothing. People here are becoming more & more petty, but that seems to be the nation as a whole...anything to make a buck in our broke, corrupt city. How about targeting the true criminals & clean up the streets chief!
Yeah, Im in Detroit as well. Duggan has a personal vendetta against street art and graffiti. Look up paint cans and politics. It's an unfinished documentary from a few years back that features a pre-Mayor Duggan talking out of his buttocks. This new initiative he has is just for show, it's easier to go after the artists than get the police force to go after drugs, corruption, and violent crime. When Duggan is out of office we'll see if the next mayor is friendlier to the arts. It's a dumb move on his part to tinkle off people who have no problem creating anti-Duggan imagery to blanket Detroit.

http://paintcansandpolitics.com/

On a side note, when did the censorship of language become so G rated? Are people really offended by the "a" word and the "p"word (other word for urinate). I thought this was a forum dedicated to a prolific street artist, not the Disney channel. :lol:
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

How are the going to prove it was Shepard anyway. Anyone could go to the city where he has a show or is installing a piece and tag/paste a bunch of Obey stuff and he would get blamed.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

halopigg wrote:
weston wrote: that video was awesome. But the comments are the best on that page.

Robert Millman has no posse.
:lol:
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

jjttdw wrote:How are the going to prove it was Shepard anyway. Anyone could go to the city where he has a show or is installing a piece and tag/paste a bunch of Obey stuff and he would get blamed.

It's all a publicity stunt IMHO
on point like a decimalist?
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

Half page feature on the call-for-arrest story in this mornings paper The Independent (UK newspaper)

distract
Posse

Post by distract »

Also being from Detroit, this is being blown way out of proportion by the Mayor. I think he's basically just trying to make an example on Shep, and he thinks he's an easy target since it was well know that he was here and has been in trouble before. He 100% did not do any of the pieces in question, so i'd love to hear what kind of proof they have. Everything he did was commissioned, as is most of the larger murals that have been going up in and around Detroit the last few years.

Seriously, Detroit has bigger fish to fry than going after someone that is making the city more artistically appealing.
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Jessica Ravelo »

If they don't have him on camera. Detroit Police Sergeant Rebecca McKay was seen on video planting evidence earlier this year. Shysty!!!
arthunter999
Swindler

Post by arthunter999 »

I am guessing this was a genius PR stunt probably instigated by the Shepard Fairey camp. Either way it has got people talking and paying attention!!! Mission accomplished Shep.
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Jessica Ravelo »

arthunter999 wrote:I am guessing this was a genius PR stunt probably instigated by the Shepard Fairey camp. Either way it has got people talking and paying attention!!! Mission accomplished Shep.
I don't think so.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

Jessica Ravelo wrote:
arthunter999 wrote:I am guessing this was a genius PR stunt probably instigated by the Shepard Fairey camp. Either way it has got people talking and paying attention!!! Mission accomplished Shep.
I don't think so.
I think it was instigated by Shep so he would never have to go back to Detroit...
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

anodyne13 wrote:
Jessica Ravelo wrote:
I don't think so.
I think it was instigated by Shep so he would never have to go back to Detroit...
Detroit is awesome. Don't hate.
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

So why would he need to even do this? Everyone knows who he is by now. His art hangs in the White House. I'd say copping a felony arrest warrant is going a bit far to "get people talking"

Have you ever met Shepard or hung out with him? Pretty normal guy, I think 20 yrs of hitting the streets has given him all the "street cred" he needs. Not to mention he's been to jail more times than I can remember. This same thing happened in Boston. If he's orchestrating for attention he has a lot more pull than most people
IG - ATXjeweler
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

I bet also think that MBW is actually a Banksy prank, too.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Mira263 wrote:His art hangs in the White House.
That's news to me. What's hanging in the White House? I know he has a piece in the National Portrait Gallery, which is part of the Smithsonian, but I had never heard he has a piece hanging in the White House.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Jason Filipow wrote:
I bet also think that MBW is actually a Banksy prank, too.
it can't be a Banksy prank because Mr Brainwash IS Banksy.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

conartstudio wrote:
Mira263 wrote:His art hangs in the White House.
That's news to me. What's hanging in the White House? I know he has a piece in the National Portrait Gallery, which is part of the Smithsonian, but I had never heard he has a piece hanging in the White House.
I think Mira is confused. The David Choe Obama X 2 original was displayed in the WH. I'm pretty sure it was the first Obama image to be dispalyed in the WH.