COMMANDA MURAL, 2013 PRINT

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
rlbchef
Giant

COMMANDA MURAL, 2013 PRINT

Post by rlbchef »

COMMANDA MURAL, 2013

Shepard Fairey
Commanda Mural, 2013
Heliograph and lithograph (Etching)
Signed, Numbered Ed. 389
17 inches x 21.5 inches, $250

This  “Commanda Mural” print is a co-publishing collaboration with the Ernst Hilger Gallery based on the mural I did in Vienna Austria near the gallery. I’m very excited about this print because the high end process used is very similar to photogravure, which is one of the earliest etching techniques used to reproduce continuous tone photography. In this case, the printing plate used is zinc, opposed to copper. The zinc plate was prepared with photosensitive varnish in acid bath to yield the printing surface for the black areas of the print.
The black area of the work was printed by hand on printing press; the color part of the work was printed with lithography.
The art was printed by the esteemed Stamperia Carini in San Giovanni Valdarno, Italy.  The paper used is 100% cotton rag. Stamperia Carini uses  only raw materials of the high quality for its editions. All inks used in the printing process are the highest degree of resistance to the light available on the market; the paper usually used for the edition is the highest standard of pure cotton (100%). The print looks incredible in person and I’m very happy with how the process translated many elegant, and hard to capture, nuances.
-Shepard
Last edited by rlbchef on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mira263
Giant

Re: COMMANDA MURAL, 2013 PRINT

Post by Mira263 »

Son of a...I might be dipping into my mortorcycle savings for this.
IG - ATXjeweler
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Ilja »

Oh H€ll yeah !
bryndavies
Punk

Post by bryndavies »

I like it, but not this image enough to buy it. I do hope this process continues with other phtos and images of murals. Could be a promising series.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

bryndavies wrote:I like it, but not this image enough to buy it. I do hope this process continues with other phtos and images of murals. Could be a promising series.
Maybe this will replace the letterpress. I like it. I may have to buy just to get a good look at it.
bryndavies
Punk

Post by bryndavies »

jjttdw wrote:
bryndavies wrote:I like it, but not this image enough to buy it. I do hope this process continues with other phtos and images of murals. Could be a promising series.
Maybe this will replace the letterpress. I like it. I may have to buy just to get a good look at it.

I'm sure it'll be a great looking piece. Go for it. Do it. I do really hope this theme continues. I could see some great stuff Coming from it. I absolutely love the photography element With the pop of color.
bryndavies
Punk

Post by bryndavies »

frankfurter me. Think I already changed my mind. :oops:
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I love the concept, but for the price it would also need to be an image I love and this one isn't it.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
bryndavies
Punk

Post by bryndavies »

I'm back to not wanting it. Wonder how many times this will change by Tuesday.
Stonecutterjeff
Swindler

Post by Stonecutterjeff »

very cool piece. kind of out of my price range for right now. hope prints like this continues
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

I just recently got the Faith47 print from the gallery and print house and it is amazing. Please contact me if you are interested in one of these prints but you miss out at the drop. I am working with the gallery to get a portion of the edition in to the right collector's hands. More info coming soon.

Dan

halopiggart@gmail.com
Who's got my old stickers?
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Ilja »

halopigg wrote:I just recently got the Faith47 print from the gallery and print house and it is amazing. Please contact me if you are interested in one of these prints but you miss out at the drop. I am working with the gallery to get a portion of the edition in to the right collector's hands. More info coming soon.

Dan

halopiggart@gmail.com
Wow, that's nice of you halopigg.
I'll shoot you an email
SYPRUX
Posse

Post by SYPRUX »

I totaly do agree with you. It's a frankfurter good idea!
For me, it sounds like Urban Renewal 2.0 :D
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

bdavenport wrote:I love the concept, but for the price it would also need to be an image I love and this one isn't it.
Great concept!
JErikR
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Just to clear things up... I am working with the gallery to make sure these Obey prints get into the right collector's hands. If you are in the US I recommend trying with Obey first as it should be cheaper shipping than from Vienna. If you are in Europe or won't be around a computer when they drop please send me your email address so I can have Galerie Enrst Hilger send you an invoice. The price will be the same as obey, I am not sure about shipping and taxes and such. Email works best, halopiggart at gmail
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

Hi Dan ...I've PMed you on here as well as emailing you on the address given ... With a .com ..right?

This would save a bunch on postage and import taxes....

I'm assuming they are signed by Shepard right? ..

I'm just thinking if they are being printed in Vienna then the shipped over to America for the bulk of them to be sold in America via the obey site how and where did Shepard get to sign them? ....has he been over to Vienna to watch them being made and signed them there or will it be a Vienna-USA-back-to-Vienna-once-signed affair?

It's late here now (2am) so I'll not be able to answer till the morning

Cheers
Juniper
Punk

Post by Juniper »

Fattyramone wrote:
I'm just thinking if they are being printed in Vienna then the shipped over to America for the bulk of them to be sold in America via the obey site how and where did Shepard get to sign them? ....has he been over to Vienna to watch them being made and signed them there or will it be a Vienna-USA-back-to-Vienna-once-signed affair?
The signature/date looks like 14 in the image...these might have been signed and dated last year at some point?
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Fattyramone wrote:Hi Dan ...I've PMed you on here as well as emailing you on the address given ... With a .com ..right?

This would save a bunch on postage and import taxes....

I'm assuming they are signed by Shepard right? ..

It's late here now (2am) so I'll not be able to answer till the morning

Cheers

Not sure about logistics but they are all signed and dated. The gallery had them produced last year I believe and only recently sent Shepard his portion. Please try to email me to sign up for the list. Spaces are going quickly but we have a good amount to sell.

dan
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

+1
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Great gesture, halo!
bryndavies
Punk

Post by bryndavies »

Anyone need a PB on this one tomorrow?
irishdroog
Swindler

Post by irishdroog »

Dropped. In and out.
wiredbeans
Propaganda Engineer

Post by wiredbeans »

+1, me too. yay! :)
Thanks Halopigg for the offer of the print!!! I can't imagine it costing much more to ship from Austria though.
thinking the price made it easier...wonder if obey just raised the price a bit if it would make sure prints more or less made it to collectors...hmmm
bryant
Punk

Post by bryant »

I was having some weird issue where when I tried to checkout it would tell me my cart was empty. Tried like 50 times, then tried a diff browser and it worked..... no clue . . . .
wiredbeans
Propaganda Engineer

Post by wiredbeans »

the print was no longer on the safari page when I refreshed so after reading your post I tried in firefox and it was there! (I was in safari before and it did show up and thats where I purchased it) so weird.