TheGiant.org Homebrewers

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
Shonquan
Giant

TheGiant.org Homebrewers

Post by Shonquan »

Do we have any home brewers on the forum? I figured we could share recipes, pictures, and anything beer related in here.

Currently I have a 5 gallon batch of an Orange Blossom Ale on tap and a Bavarian Hefeweizen hanging out in a secondary carboy.
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Re: TheGiant.org Homebrewers

Post by speedoguy »

I Haven't brewed a beer yet, but I'm actually in the process of making my brew stand. I'm going to be brewing BIAB

halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Hey guys! Not a home brewer but I work for a brewery if you ever have any questions you need answered by a brewer don't hesitate to ask.

dan
Who's got my old stickers?
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

I've always wanted to try home brewing, someday...
"I make my own luck."
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I used to, but haven't had time since I went back to school. Still have all my stuff though.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

danklax5 wrote:I've always wanted to try home brewing, someday...
Do it!! It's a small investment to buy all of the necessary equipment and start, but once you have all that stuff it's pretty affordable to make 5 - 10 gallon batches.

Speedoguy, awesome! That looks pretty serious. Let me know when you start and what you make first.

I recently converted and old mini fridge into a 2 tap keggerator, so no more bottling and it's always nice to have cold beer on tap at the house.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I do have to agree with Shonquan, homebrewing ROCKS! It is so easy to make some of the best beer you have ever had.

On the kegerator side, I got an old 1950s fridge and put two taps on it. The beer on tap at home is awesome! The other nice thing about that is that sometimes local breweries will fill cornies for you so even if you don't have time to brew you can still have beer on tap.
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

bdavenport wrote:The other nice thing about that is that sometimes local breweries will fill cornies for you so even if you don't have time to brew you can still have beer on tap.
I've never tried getting in touch with local breweries to see if they'll sell/fill a corny. Thanks for the idea!
speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

I'm pretty much done with the stand, just waiting on all of my cam lock's to arrive. those durn things are pricey.

I will be starting a dual tap kegerator build, and converting an old fridge into a fermentation chamber for a conical in the next few days, my hope is to brew by mid November.
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

Are you going to be doing All grain 10 gallon batches?

As for the kegerator, will you be using a draft tower or just faucets? Either way, I recommend Perlick faucets if you haven't bought some already.
speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

yes, 10 gallon batches. The plan is to keep 1 lighter, and 1 darker beer on tap at all times.

I'm going with a draft tower set-up, def going to use perlick faucets

I cant wait to actually brew, Ive been working on rounding up equipment and building the stand for over a month, Not to mention reading brewing books for a few months prior to that. I'm trying to make this whole set-up as easy as possible, biab, to conical ( that way I dont have to do a secondary ) and then to keg, so I dont have to bottle. Hopefully the process will be stream line.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Shonquan wrote:
bdavenport wrote:The other nice thing about that is that sometimes local breweries will fill cornies for you so even if you don't have time to brew you can still have beer on tap.
I've never tried getting in touch with local breweries to see if they'll sell/fill a corny. Thanks for the idea!
They likely won't sell you a corny, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to fill one. Cornys aren't really used anymore so most places don't have them to sell. If you are looking for them try Craigslist, that's where I got mine.
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

bdavenport wrote: They likely won't sell you a corny, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to fill one. Cornys aren't really used anymore so most places don't have them to sell. If you are looking for them try Craigslist, that's where I got mine.
Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. Luckily, the local homebrew store here in Austin buys old cornys from bars that close and recondition them. They only last a day or two at the store when they are available though.
speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

picked up this conical yesterday for a steal, 100 bucks!

speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

stripped Out A Fridge We Had Laying Around, Should Work Well As A Fermentation Chamber

speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

brewed my second batch on monday, a milk chocolate stout. looks like it should be right around 6% when its all done.

My first batch was an ipa, came in at 5.5%, its been on tap for a week now and I've almost finished off a corny keg worth, homebrew seems to be going fast!

so far my stand has performed great, really liking this new hobby!
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

Awesome man! I recently brewed a peach and pecan dunkelweizen. Tapped it up for a party we had on Saturday and almost went through it. Can't beat cold draft beer anytime you want it. Do you have a picture of your kegerator?
speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

I was going to build a kegerator, but ended up finding this haier kegerator on craigslist for 100 bucks

the wife got me a 2 tap tower and stout facet and a set of perlick 545's for christmas, I'm going to install the tower this weekend, Ive got a good amount of homebrew stacking up. Right now I have 15 gallons kegged, I'm probably going to end up building a keezer, I thought 2 taps would be enough, now I'm thinking 4 taps.

on a side note, I love my perlick 545 faucet, having the flow control faucet has allowed me to shorten my beer lines and remove clutter from the inside of the kegerator, If they made them in stainless they would be perfect, but even if I have to replace them in a year it's worth it to me
speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

got the stout faucet set up, nitrogen is a thing of beauty, I need to brew a cream ale soon!

Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

Looking good! I converted an old minifridge. Fits 2 corny kegs and my 5 lbs of CO2 perfectly! I have Perlick 525's and love them.

Slacked over the holidays and don't have anything on tap or even fermenting at the moment. I need to brew something up this weekend.
speedoguy

Post by speedoguy »

nice build! I wish my 545's turned off as clean as 525's, then i wouldnt need the drip tray. looks much cleaner without the drip tray!