Shipping prints

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
noverflow
I think I started this

Shipping prints

Post by noverflow »

So I was reading this
http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/packaginghowto.htm
on shipping prints. Its sad because I must admit I am guilty of not following much of the instructions.

It says not to use flimsy 1/8in tubes, and to use at least 1/4in tubes.

1/8in is .125in. I have been using yazoo mills .1in tubes to ship everything in, and have not had problems, but I would like thicker tubes.

Where do you even find a .25in thick beast?
Im looking for 3x24in (or close) and as thick as possible tubes.

Also, it looks like if Obey just rolled the prints smaller than the tube, that they may actually avoid most damages. Would not cost anything more, and would only take 1min to explain.

They could even put them in ups triangle free tubes after, to protect them.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

I was also wondering.
How do you ship your prints? Tube maker, size, paper? padding?

I have been shipping in 3x24x.1 in yazoo mills tubes, no paper, loose, padded on each side with plastic bags.

But I want to change to...

3x24x.15 inch (thickest I could find) tube, rolled in brown paper, smaller than tube, padded on each side with plastic bags.

Thoughts?
jchapman
Punk

Post by jchapman »

You can find a wide variety of shipping tubes at U-line. We'll take a cheap tube and place the print in it with a brown paper protection, then place that tube in a better quality tube for extra measure. It may cost a few cents more for the better quality tube and shipping, but seems to work well. Plus the shipping cost we pass on to the customer generally covers the cost of postage and the tube anyway. We re-use the tubes we get the prints in from other sources as the inner tube so there is no cost involved for that one.
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

noverflow wrote:I was also wondering.
How do you ship your prints? Tube maker, size, paper? padding?

I have been shipping in 3x24x.1 in yazoo mills tubes, no paper, loose, padded on each side with plastic bags.

But I want to change to...

3x24x.15 inch (thickest I could find) tube, rolled in brown paper, smaller than tube, padded on each side with plastic bags.

Thoughts?

these days, it's craft paper wrapped loosely so print can expand to tube dimensions, tissue paper at ends to pad, the same yazoo mills tubes as you use(they are bomb proof), and now i put them in the US mail triangle poster shipping boxes(the best thing is that they are free:http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=26002&langId=-1).
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

mose wrote:these days, it's craft paper wrapped loosely so print can expand to tube dimensions, tissue paper at ends to pad, the same yazoo mills tubes as you use(they are bomb proof), and now i put them in the US mail triangle poster shipping boxes(the best thing is that they are free:http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=26002&langId=-1).

I emailed Yazoo Mills and ordered custom tubes. They are .15in thick (50% thicker) and I had them cut an inch off them so they would fit perfectly inside a usps triangle tube. I figure an elephant would have to step on these to hurt them.

All for like $1.60ea. The only problem is that it may make the total weight over 1lbs, and would cost a bunch more for shipping.
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

I use those same Yazoo Mills tubes you did. I actually think I told you about them. They are tough, short of standing on them I don't see how you could crush them.

Let me know thow much it cost to ship the new tubes. I think you will be in a world of hurt when it comes to international shipping.

I did love some of the letters on that site though. If someone cut and pasted one of those and sent it to me I don't think it would go over well. I don't think it would go over well with anyone.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

nixon451 wrote:I use those same Yazoo Mills tubes you did. I actually think I told you about them. They are tough, short of standing on them I don't see how you could crush them.

Let me know thow much it cost to ship the new tubes. I think you will be in a world of hurt when it comes to international shipping.

I did love some of the letters on that site though. If someone cut and pasted one of those and sent it to me I don't think it would go over well. I don't think it would go over well with anyone.

Will do. (weight)

I dont do international shipping.
Way too much of a pain. Started back when I would sell stuff in boxes, and then I would have to go find a box and buy it, rather than just use the 100 free usps priority boxes I had delivered free to my house. We just decited it was not worth it.
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

the easy way to do international shipping with boxes is just to turn the priority mail boxes inside out. while technically it may be a federal offense (and really, what isn't these days), i haven't ever really had a problem with it. as far as tubes go the only additional things you have to do are fill out a customs form and wait in line ... people pay for shipping so it's not exactly like it costs you much besides time. it's a good time to sell to overseas buyers too because of how strong their currencies are (especially the euro) relative to the dollar.
Pretty Vacant
Posse

Post by Pretty Vacant »

scud80 wrote:... it's a good time to sell to overseas buyers too because of how strong their currencies are (especially the euro) relative to the dollar.

I've just been noticing that, especially in light of a few of the recent eBay purchases for what seem to be really high amounts. A couple of the bigger ones (Obey Your God & Molotov Man) went to European buyers. The prices that look really high to us aren't so bad to them.

Bad news for US buyers, good news for US sellers :wink:
PxVx
Perplexed
Punk

Post by Perplexed »

Pretty Vacant wrote:
scud80 wrote:... it's a good time to sell to overseas buyers too because of how strong their currencies are (especially the euro) relative to the dollar.

I've just been noticing that, especially in light of a few of the recent eBay purchases for what seem to be really high amounts. A couple of the bigger ones (Obey Your God & Molotov Man) went to European buyers. The prices that look really high to us aren't so bad to them.

Bad news for US buyers, good news for US sellers :wink:

I can vouch for that. It's virtually two pounds to the dollar right now.

Everything looks half price.

:P
Pretty Vacant
Posse

Post by Pretty Vacant »

Perplexed wrote:I can vouch for that. It's virtually two pounds to the dollar right now.

Everything looks half price.

BASTARDS!

:twisted:
PxVx
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

scud80 wrote:the easy way to do international shipping with boxes is just to turn the priority mail boxes inside out. while technically it may be a federal offense (and really, what isn't these days), i haven't ever really had a problem with it. as far as tubes go the only additional things you have to do are fill out a customs form and wait in line ... people pay for shipping so it's not exactly like it costs you much besides time. it's a good time to sell to overseas buyers too because of how strong their currencies are (especially the euro) relative to the dollar.

meh, i just make the buyer pay for a legit box.

the two main reasons i don't like to sell internationally anymore: 1. once the package reaches the country of the buyer, it is no longer handled by the USPS. (except, i assume, for global priority and global express, but who wants to pay for those!?) as far as i know, any insurance claim on a package that is damaged overseas is either void at this point or probably too much of a pain to deal with. 2. this may have changed, but back when i was selling to international buyers on ebay, there was no way for the buyer to pay immediately after winning the auction (if the buyer is international). i would have to send the winner an ebay invoice and wait for them to pay. i much prefer getting the money right away, since (at this point), all buyers pay a flat shipping rate for my auctions. of course, with these new hefty tubes, who knows if that will change!

plus, i am getting buyers right now, even having the auctions restricted to US-only, so there is no real reason for me to change.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Perplexed
Punk

Post by Perplexed »

illyanadmc wrote:
scud80 wrote:the easy way to do international shipping with boxes is just to turn the priority mail boxes inside out. while technically it may be a federal offense (and really, what isn't these days), i haven't ever really had a problem with it. as far as tubes go the only additional things you have to do are fill out a customs form and wait in line ... people pay for shipping so it's not exactly like it costs you much besides time. it's a good time to sell to overseas buyers too because of how strong their currencies are (especially the euro) relative to the dollar.

meh, i just make the buyer pay for a legit box.

the two main reasons i don't like to sell internationally anymore: 1. once the package reaches the country of the buyer, it is no longer handled by the USPS. (except, i assume, for global priority and global express, but who wants to pay for those!?) as far as i know, any insurance claim on a package that is damaged overseas is either void at this point or probably too much of a pain to deal with. 2. this may have changed, but back when i was selling to international buyers on ebay, there was no way for the buyer to pay immediately after winning the auction (if the buyer is international). i would have to send the winner an ebay invoice and wait for them to pay. i much prefer getting the money right away, since (at this point), all buyers pay a flat shipping rate for my auctions. of course, with these new hefty tubes, who knows if that will change!

plus, i am getting buyers right now, even having the auctions restricted to US-only, so there is no real reason for me to change.

I believe Paypal is international right now.

Oh, and we also get the internet. It really is awfully whizzy.

:wink:
Pretty Vacant
Posse

Post by Pretty Vacant »

PxVx
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

lol

Perplexed wrote:I believe Paypal is international right now.

illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

not quite sure what you misunderstood in my post, but i think it's the part about international customers not being able to pay for an auction right away. let me elaborate: back when i sold to the entire world on ebay, ebay didn't have a way to specify shipping costs to international buyers while setting up the auction - so, if someone outside the US won my auction, i would have to calculate their shipping cost using USPS.com and send them an ebay invoice with their total. this meant that the buyer would have to wait for the invoice before they could pay with paypal - none of the convenience of checking my email just to see that, not only did someone win my auction, but that person also instantly paid me!

also, some super smarties would pay me right away, including the shipping cost i had specified for US bidders only... so, i would have to let them know that they would have to send me another payment to make up for the extra shipping cost. it ended up becoming more hassle than it was worth, so i decided to stop.

and i did see the wink, so i realize i didn't have to explain. but i don't want everyone else to think i am an insensitive moron.
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

illyanadmc wrote:
but i don't want everyone else to think i am an insensitive moron.

never, your post always make me laugh...
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

speedoguy wrote:illyanadmc wrote:
but i don't want everyone else to think i am an insensitive moron.

never, your post always make me laugh...

that could be good or bad! but i am guessing good - so, thanks!
Perplexed
Punk

Post by Perplexed »

illyanadmc wrote:

not quite sure what you misunderstood in my post, but i think it's the part about international customers not being able to pay for an auction right away. let me elaborate: back when i sold to the entire world on ebay, ebay didn't have a way to specify shipping costs to international buyers while setting up the auction - so, if someone outside the US won my auction, i would have to calculate their shipping cost using USPS.com and send them an ebay invoice with their total. this meant that the buyer would have to wait for the invoice before they could pay with paypal - none of the convenience of checking my email just to see that, not only did someone win my auction, but that person also instantly paid me!

also, some super smarties would pay me right away, including the shipping cost i had specified for US bidders only... so, i would have to let them know that they would have to send me another payment to make up for the extra shipping cost. it ended up becoming more hassle than it was worth, so i decided to stop.

and i did see the wink, so i realize i didn't have to explain. but i don't want everyone else to think i am an insensitive moron.

No problem. I was just messing. I've sold stuff abroad and you're right it is an extra hassle calculating shipping costs, etc. I guess the benefit right now is that because the pound is so strong against the dollar we seem to be buying up prints like a nation of petty Guggenheims. But I agree, if you don't need to why would you? It's your business after all.

All the best,

Nick
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

So here it is.
The tube alone weighs 15.2oz. So looks like shipping will be more. But I can stand on the tubes with no problem.