OFFICIAL BUZZ THREAD: Deitch Projects May Day Show 2010

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
PDC
Giant

Re: OFFICIAL BUZZ THREAD: Deitch Projects May Day Show 2010

Post by PDC »

Jamessmith77 wrote:Naw is practically a NYC king. I for one like it when bombers do what they do best....BOMB. Dont get me wrong I like Shep, his work and as a person. But currently this wall is nothing more than a billboard that until a year ago was always bombed. I think whoever does this wall is asking for it.
Isn't that just "the King's" signature on it?
Rather weak if it is. At least add to the artwork if you want to "bomb" it.
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

sorry if it has been posted before :

http://cope2.blogspot.com/2010/04/cope2 ... olabo.html

XXXX
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

That looks cool, love the two styles together. Would like to see that way of working in a print colab. With a little more thought on composition.
havana
Swindler

Post by havana »

lepublicnme wrote:sorry if it has been posted before :

XXXX
Its beginning to look like a mr Brainwash wall, ha ha!

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

havana wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:sorry if it has been posted before :

XXXX

i don't get it... there's nothing remotely similar between the two.
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

they both have cope tags in them
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

hundreddollarhorse wrote:they both have cope tags in them
they still don't look similar, not even remotely.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

fribhey wrote:
No, they don't. It was obviously a joke...hence the "ha ha!" at the end of the sentence.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

comiconart wrote:
fribhey wrote:
No, they don't. It was obviously a joke...hence the "ha ha!" at the end of the sentence.

that would be scary... you shouldn't even joke about that

:mrgreen:
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

Special Mayday deal (sorry if it's a repost):

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/20 ... _to_ge.php
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

slidingaround wrote:That looks cool, love the two styles together. Would like to see that way of working in a print colab. With a little more thought on composition.
+1 cool to see someone else elaborate on the design as oppose to bombing it
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Good article on the murals and Shep's thoughts on people adding their own touches

NyTimes Art Beat blog

Targeting a Shepard Fairey Mural
By MELENA RYZIK
It’s par for the course in the world of street art: getting painted over. But by the unwritten code of the scene, most artists leave others’ work alone; business-owners and anti-graffiti activists are usually the ones brandishing the whitewash.

Not so in the case of the street art star Shepard Fairey, whose freshly installed mural on Houston Street near the Bowery has been added to several times. The piece, intended as a prelude to Mr. Fairey’s forthcoming exhibition at Deitch Projects, the gallery’s final show before it closes, includes Mr. Fairey’s signature Andre the Giant, Communist propaganda-tinged images, and perhaps presciently, a target. Hours after it went up last week, the graffiti writer known as NAW added his tag to it; a security guard tried to apprehend him but he got away, apparently by wriggling out of his shirt, according to the blogger Bucky Turco, and the tag was quickly removed. More recently, someone punctured the piece, perhaps with a rock or a brick, leaving several small holes and one gaping one through which a previous mural, by the twins known as Os Gemeos, is visible. (Mr. Fairey’s work was put up on a wall built over the Os Gemeos mural, and is intended to stay up at least through the summer.) A sticker with a mock-Target logo was also added.

Should the puncture be considered an attack, a la the Splasher, who terrorized the street art scene three years ago by defacing its most famous works in the name of an anti-commercial manifesto? Is it mere hooliganism? Or is it, in the vein of Mr. Fairey’s friend Banksy, all an elaborate stunt?

Andrea Cashman, a spokeswoman for Deitch, said the puncture and tagging was “a natural occurrence” for any large outdoor project. “I think with any artist who’s at that level and has that much exposure, it’s bound to happen,” she said. The security guard would not be stationed at the piece now that it’s finished; he was hired only for its construction, before an anti-graffiti spray was applied to the work. This is standard practice for all of the murals that Deitch sponsors at that corner, Ms. Cashman said. She said that members of Mr. Fairey’s team would be filling in the hole soon.

Mr. Fairey had not seen the damage himself, he said in a phone interview on Monday afternoon, though he was aware that his work was now a canvas for others. “My assistants went by and peeled a sticker off of it earlier today,” he said. And he said he expected to attract that kind of add-on attention. “Because I’m straddling the line between all these different worlds – the fine art world, the street art world, commercial design, fashion – I think I’m a target for a lot of narrow-minded people who just aren’t comfortable with my multi-platform approach,” he said. “If that’s how they express their view is by vandalizing my mural, that’s fair. I assume that they think that putting a bullet hole through it is a clever interactive addition, which I actually agree with.”

Still, he said that he was concerned that people would take it as an invitation to deface the work even further. “But I don’t get too discouraged by this, because if I did, I would’ve stopped 20 years ago,” he said. “My plan is to maintain it the best that I can, but eventually it’s going to succumb to the forces of the streets.”
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

gpt104 wrote:Good article on the murals and Shep's thoughts on people adding their own touches

NyTimes Art Beat blog

Targeting a Shepard Fairey Mural
By MELENA RYZIK
It’s par for the course in the world of street art: getting painted over. But by the unwritten code of the scene, most artists leave others’ work alone; business-owners and anti-graffiti activists are usually the ones brandishing the whitewash.

Not so in the case of the street art star Shepard Fairey, whose freshly installed mural on Houston Street near the Bowery has been added to several times. The piece, intended as a prelude to Mr. Fairey’s forthcoming exhibition at Deitch Projects, the gallery’s final show before it closes, includes Mr. Fairey’s signature Andre the Giant, Communist propaganda-tinged images, and perhaps presciently, a target. Hours after it went up last week, the graffiti writer known as NAW added his tag to it; a security guard tried to apprehend him but he got away, apparently by wriggling out of his shirt, according to the blogger Bucky Turco, and the tag was quickly removed. More recently, someone punctured the piece, perhaps with a rock or a brick, leaving several small holes and one gaping one through which a previous mural, by the twins known as Os Gemeos, is visible. (Mr. Fairey’s work was put up on a wall built over the Os Gemeos mural, and is intended to stay up at least through the summer.) A sticker with a mock-Target logo was also added.

Should the puncture be considered an attack, a la the Splasher, who terrorized the street art scene three years ago by defacing its most famous works in the name of an anti-commercial manifesto? Is it mere hooliganism? Or is it, in the vein of Mr. Fairey’s friend Banksy, all an elaborate stunt?

Andrea Cashman, a spokeswoman for Deitch, said the puncture and tagging was “a natural occurrence” for any large outdoor project. “I think with any artist who’s at that level and has that much exposure, it’s bound to happen,” she said. The security guard would not be stationed at the piece now that it’s finished; he was hired only for its construction, before an anti-graffiti spray was applied to the work. This is standard practice for all of the murals that Deitch sponsors at that corner, Ms. Cashman said. She said that members of Mr. Fairey’s team would be filling in the hole soon.

Mr. Fairey had not seen the damage himself, he said in a phone interview on Monday afternoon, though he was aware that his work was now a canvas for others. “My assistants went by and peeled a sticker off of it earlier today,” he said. And he said he expected to attract that kind of add-on attention. “Because I’m straddling the line between all these different worlds – the fine art world, the street art world, commercial design, fashion – I think I’m a target for a lot of narrow-minded people who just aren’t comfortable with my multi-platform approach,” he said. “If that’s how they express their view is by vandalizing my mural, that’s fair. I assume that they think that putting a bullet hole through it is a clever interactive addition, which I actually agree with.”

Still, he said that he was concerned that people would take it as an invitation to deface the work even further. “But I don’t get too discouraged by this, because if I did, I would’ve stopped 20 years ago,” he said. “My plan is to maintain it the best that I can, but eventually it’s going to succumb to the forces of the streets.”
F*#$%^Kin haters...
HopeThatUChoke
Punk

Post by HopeThatUChoke »

admonkey wrote:
HopeThatUChoke wrote:
vinegartom wrote:And "Shep" is not a rich man...and, even if he was, it doesn't invalidate his work. Since when does being able to support your family with your artistic expression make you a bandwagoner?

Lets say he releases 3 prints per month on average. Prices range from $40-$70 so let's average it out at $55. The runs are I'd say an average of 400. That's $22k for one release. Times 3 or so releases per month = $66,000 a month. That's approx. 800k a year on screen prints alone. That doesn't include the clothing line, original art and any side graphic work he does and various other endeavors. I'd say he is doing pretty well for himself and could be deemed "rich".
Three years ago... http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2942

I think my post was misinterpreted....I wasn't ranting, raving, bitching or anything negative towards Shep. Just pointing out that he is more than likely doing pretty well for himself and probably on the cusp of what many here would consider rich.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

No, the point of my digging up that old post was to illustrate the real world bookkeeping math involved isn't as simple as what you made it out to be; it's not (number of prints sold) * (price sold at) - (no accounting for any expenses at all) = (I'm rich, biatch).
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
muggy
Swindler

Post by muggy »

He's a poor little black kid from the streets that started tagging trains when he was 14. Does it really matter? Not at all
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

muggy wrote:He's a poor little black kid from the streets that started tagging trains when he was 14. Does it really matter? Not at all
Shep is black?
Check out my T-shirt quilts
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

mr Revs wrote:
muggy wrote:He's a poor little black kid from the streets that started tagging trains when he was 14. Does it really matter? Not at all
Shep is black?
He once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now he only has two things: his friends and his thermos. It was never easy for him. He was born a poor black child and can remember the days, sittin' on the porch with his family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

admonkey wrote:
mr Revs wrote:
Shep is black?
He once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now he only has two things: his friends and his thermos. It was never easy for him. He was born a poor black child and can remember the days, sittin' on the porch with his family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.
i LOVE that movie... someone recently on the radio was making fun of the new 3D TV hype that manufactures are trying to make us think we want. they said something along the lines that these new 3D glasses will cause the same problems as the "Opti-Grab" and everyone will go cross-eyed.
:mrgreen:
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

admonkey wrote:
mr Revs wrote:
Shep is black?
This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, you're name in print, that makes people.
Giant

Post by 843 »

my good friend Troy (Imprnio) is up in NYC already for the show and just sent out this pic, looks like another new mural going up near the gallery

mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

right across from deitch. I walked by earlier today as well and saw that many of the canvases were hung. They were all the ones that have been posted on here before plus a Hendrix.
Check out my T-shirt quilts
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

see you all saturday!
Who's got my old stickers?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

843 wrote:my good friend Troy (Imprnio) is up in NYC already for the show and just sent out this pic, looks like another new mural going up near the gallery

Wow man....this looks like the biggest show since KISS played the Budokan Hall in 1977.
piratesprayer
Posse

Post by piratesprayer »

see ya saturday