OFFICIAL BUZZ THREAD: Deitch Projects May Day Show 2010

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
HopeThatUChoke
Punk

Re: OFFICIAL BUZZ THREAD: Deitch Projects May Day Show 2010

Post by HopeThatUChoke »

Anyone know where this is specifically? I might try to shoot over after Exit Through The Gift Shop.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Actually heard there were two spots hit:

Fishtown - Rocket Cat Cafe (2001 Frankford Ave.)
Brewerytown - MM Partners (2621 W. Girard Ave.)
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

the philly mural is cooler than the one on the bowery - I just prefer the older images
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

the new prints are a mixed bag. On one hand you have the Ali, which may be the finest print Shepard has ever done and a beautiful, haunting image. It is a truly outstanding piece, and one that loudly refutes Shepard's critics who claim his portraits have no depth. On the other hand, you have varying degrees of awkwardness in the others.

Shepard is truly Warhol's son.
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

gpt104 wrote:Ali Canvas has a dark feeling. Going to be a stunner in person I bet

http://www.photographersgallery.com/photo.asp?id=1245

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

and it's about time us East Coasters get first dibs on some stuff. I hate missing out on all that LA lovin'. :mrgreen:
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
mutant
Posse

Post by mutant »

mose wrote: Shepard is truly Warhol's son.
well said!
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

The mural has since been restored, but NAW was the culprit.

http://animalnewyork.com/2010/04/naw-on ... eys-mural/
byrnexxx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by byrnexxx »

that's awesome that there is hired security to prohibit some bandwagoner from tagging the wall
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

byrnexxx wrote:that's awesome that there is hired security to prohibit some bandwagoner from tagging the wall
A security guard protecting street art is awesome? Really?

Seems rather anti-street art if you ask me. Shepard is turning more and more from a street artist into a privileged elitist artist with friends in high places.... He is now "the man", someone he used to be against.

It's ok for him to put up work in the streets but no longer ok for others.... Guess he first showed his true colors when taggers hit up his building in LA

Oh, and when did being did not being super famous as a street artist make you a bandwagoner?

this is not awesome.... It's not only lame (really lame) but it's also really sad. The art is no longer for everyone, it's back to being only for a select few who can afford it.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

That dood that tagged the mural was looking for his 15 minutes in the spotlight. Not cool at all. I understand that Shep should not have a security gaurd protecting the mural, but this punk should have respect for one of the pioneers of street art.
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

fribhey wrote:
byrnexxx wrote:that's awesome that there is hired security to prohibit some bandwagoner from tagging the wall
A security guard protecting street art is awesome? Really?

Seems rather anti-street art if you ask me. Shepard is turning more and more from a street artist into a privileged elitist artist with friends in high places.... He is now "the man", someone he used to be against.

It's ok for him to put up work in the streets but no longer ok for others.... Guess he first showed his true colors when taggers hit up his building in LA

Oh, and when did being did not being super famous as a street artist make you a bandwagoner?

this is not awesome.... It's not only lame (really lame) but it's also really sad. The art is no longer for everyone, it's back to being only for a select few who can afford it.
So Shepard and crew spend a good part of a day trying to get the Deitch wall finished for his show at Deitch Projects and Deitch decides to hire a security guard to keep it from being bombed before the opening but Shepard is to blame because he is becoming popular? IMO the Deithch wall is hardly a place for the masses to bomb at will - Its intent is to promote an artist or artsits working with Deitch. Notice the emphasis on Deitch throughout my post....
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

fribhey wrote: this is not awesome.... It's not only lame (really lame) but it's also really sad. The art is no longer for everyone, it's back to being only for a select few who can afford it.
Fribhey, how can Shepard's art only for "a select few that can afford it" when he still charges $45 for a screen print? The selection of art at Deitch is proof of a variety of price points from prints, wood pieces, rubys, stencils and canvas.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

i someone came along and dropped a real burner on the mural, i'd say leave it be... but a quick scrawl? that's just depositing garbage where you eat as far as i'm concerned.
on point like a decimalist?
Jamessmith77
Posse

Post by Jamessmith77 »

Naw is practically a NYC king. I for one like it when bombers do what they do best....BOMB. Dont get me wrong I like Shep, his work and as a person. But currently this wall is nothing more than a billboard that until a year ago was always bombed. I think whoever does this wall is asking for it.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Jamessmith77 wrote: I think whoever does this wall is asking for it.
Then why was the Os Gemeos mural that was up for a year not tagged up? Pure jealousy IMO.....
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

spagucci1 wrote:
Jamessmith77 wrote: I think whoever does this wall is asking for it.
Then why was the Os Gemeos mural that was up for a year not tagged up? Pure jealousy IMO.....
Not knowing what Os Gemeos mural looked like I can only take a guess but maybe it was a better mural and other street artists respected it... I love the majority of shepard's work but this mural is not very good, I'm not going to brown nose it and act as another yes man in shepard's army. Elements of it are ok but as a whole it's just not good and as someone else mentioned, it's nothing more tha a billboard/advertisement for the show coming up, it's not even street art.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

TheOmethod wrote:
fribhey wrote: this is not awesome.... It's not only lame (really lame) but it's also really sad. The art is no longer for everyone, it's back to being only for a select few who can afford it.
Fribhey, how can Shepard's art only for "a select few that can afford it" when he still charges $45 for a screen print? The selection of art at Deitch is proof of a variety of price points from prints, wood pieces, rubys, stencils and canvas.
It's all about perception. How can you call yourself a street artist and at the same time discourage street art by hiring security to guard to prevent it from happening?

It's lame, or at least that's how it will come across.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

MrMurk wrote:So Shepard and crew spend a good part of a day trying to get the Deitch wall finished for his show at Deitch Projects and Deitch decides to hire a security guard to keep it from being bombed before the opening but Shepard is to blame because he is becoming popular? IMO the Deithch wall is hardly a place for the masses to bomb at will - Its intent is to promote an artist or artsits working with Deitch. Notice the emphasis on Deitch throughout my post....
i have no doubt the security guard was hired by Deitch.... problem is that Shepard's street art is not synonymous with Deitch. the average street art fan (or even non street art or non art fan) isn't going to see that wall and think "oh that must be a Deitch wall"... they are going to say "check out that new Shepard mural, hey why does he have security guarding it?"

that's just how it's going to come across....
obeygirl
Punk

Post by obeygirl »

Seems like someone took the target literally...
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

fribhey wrote:
MrMurk wrote:So Shepard and crew spend a good part of a day trying to get the Deitch wall finished for his show at Deitch Projects and Deitch decides to hire a security guard to keep it from being bombed before the opening but Shepard is to blame because he is becoming popular? IMO the Deithch wall is hardly a place for the masses to bomb at will - Its intent is to promote an artist or artsits working with Deitch. Notice the emphasis on Deitch throughout my post....
i have no doubt the security guard was hired by Deitch.... problem is that Shepard's street art is not synonymous with Deitch. the average street art fan (or even non street art or non art fan) isn't going to see that wall and think "oh that must be a Deitch wall"... they are going to say "check out that new Shepard mural, hey why does he have security guarding it?"

that's just how it's going to come across....
I agree but I was just trying to point out that Deitch most likely controls the walls "security" and appearance - not Shepard - but I could be wrong. It was inevitable that it would be bombed but I would imagine they want it to look intact till at least the opening for the press and promotions aspect.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

Jamessmith77 wrote:Naw is practically a NYC king. I for one like it when bombers do what they do best....BOMB. Dont get me wrong I like Shep, his work and as a person. But currently this wall is nothing more than a billboard that until a year ago was always bombed. I think whoever does this wall is asking for it.
Yes.
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
nas
Swindler

Post by nas »

843 wrote:why so much hate about camping out?? People camp out for limited stuff all the time like shoes, art, toys, phones, video games and music. If someone is stoked about getting the print and wants to camp out then who cares?? If you dont wanna camp out then dont. I dont see whats so annoying about that??
Dude...that kind of ruins it for all...especially in NYC when you could be doing a thousand other things anywhere & everywhere else in the city!

From a financial standpoint, why would you waste $200/$400 a night on a room when you can indeed pick the poster up at the pop up shop or on the bay? Why not just skip the whole room thing then & live on the streeets for the weekend...lol. Sounds like that's what some have in mind...

Btw, I spoke to some folks at Deitch & now there are worried about folks camping out...lol...they sounded kinda shocked actually. FYI - the canvas pieces are going to range from 25k to 45k according to the gallery as of Friday :-( way way out of my league...sounds like they are catering only to the VIP's & big money ballers...lol
The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you don’t listen to it, you will never know what justice is!
nas
Swindler

Post by nas »

mr Revs wrote:Why? This is going to be so annoying.
Agree...I could think of 1,000 other things art related to do in NYC than waiting for a $35 piece for 24+ hours...lol
The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you don’t listen to it, you will never know what justice is!