FS: Sunsets HPM on Wood

Classified ads for those selling merchandise on external sites.
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Re:

Post by kingburdy »

mr Revs wrote:Please bigstrunso show your face. Did the bidder actually pay?
I'm kinda thinking the same thing, but if it did thats great for all of us.. :wink:
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

CN what do you value this at?

http://www.campbarbossa.com/artists_pro ... cts_id=858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

War By numbers Stencil collage on Paper

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/War_ ... e_on_Paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mr Revs on Wed May 27, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my T-shirt quilts
drew55
Punk

Re:

Post by drew55 »

mr Revs wrote:here comes the flood (not mine):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0426592829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like "This price will look very cheap in two years." Nice sale history as well.

All bubbles eventually pop.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by comiconart »

mr Revs wrote:CN what do you value this at?

http://www.campbarbossa.com/artists_pro ... cts_id=858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/War_ ... e_on_Paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why...looking to flip it?
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

Oh man, it's huge, from a low edition of 5, and a very popular recent image. The collage elements on those particular HPMs are really fantastic. IMO, those are some of his finest pieces from this period of his career. It is on paper though and above $15K you start getting into canvas territory so I'd put it just south of that.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Re: FS: Sunsets HPM on Wood

Post by comiconart »

The only thing original about an HPM is the collage background. Otherwise, just another screenprint. IMO, there are so many better pieces out there for that kind of money. Add $2k and buy Revs' Chinese Soldiers stencil collage. 100% original, and a much larger piece. To me, these screenprints on wood/metal are only "fine art" as a result of where they are sold...in an art gallery. I can understand $2500 - $4000 depending on image...but anything more than that seems excessive.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Re:

Post by comiconart »

cybernigel wrote:

Oh man, it's huge, from a low edition of 5, and a very popular recent image. The collage elements on those particular HPMs are really fantastic. IMO, those are some of his finest pieces from this period of his career. It is on paper though and above $15K you start getting into canvas territory so I'd put it just south of that.
Not an HPM, a stencil collage...but I agree on the price. And if you can get a choice 30" x 44" stencil collage for $13k or so...how can an 18" x 24" screenprint be $11k?
Bonesy
Giant

Re:

Post by Bonesy »

cybernigel wrote: $11K for an (18x24) HPM on wood of a very desirable image sounds about right to me.
Agree, I think the price is right because of the image.

The Peace Bomber on metal guy needs a wake up call though.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

"$15K you start getting into canvas territory so I'd put it just south of that."

Can we get a canvas for that much somewhere?
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

Sure...Cost of Oil is still available. $15k at White Walls.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Id personally much rather the Sunsets HPM than a Chinese Soldiers stencil collage (sorry Rev). The image is the most important factor and Sunsets is one of a few from the past few years that really shines.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
mr Revs
Giant

Re:

Post by mr Revs »

Bonesy wrote:Id personally much rather the Sunsets HPM than a Chinese Soldiers stencil collage (sorry Rev). The image is the most important factor and Sunsets is one of a few from the past few years that really shines.
I agree with you on the image. But not enough to stop me from forking up another 2k for an image 3 times the size.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

comiconart wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

Not an HPM, a stencil collage...but I agree on the price. And if you can get a choice 30" x 44" stencil collage for $13k or so...how can an 18" x 24" screenprint be $11k?
I think being on wood is where the extra value comes in for that HPM. I also think the stencil collage is closer to $15K than $13K.
My $.02
BrokeFromArt
Swindler

Post by BrokeFromArt »

How exactly is an HPM on wood different from the normal screenprints on wood? Is there a significant value difference between a normal screen on wood and an HPM?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

BrokeFromArt wrote:Is there a significant value difference between a normal screen on wood and an HPM?
Definitely. Every HPM is unique and the collage adds a texture that really sets it apart as fine art crafted by hand.
Last edited by cybernigel on Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrokeFromArt
Swindler

Post by BrokeFromArt »

cybernigel wrote:
BrokeFromArt wrote:Is there a significant value difference between a normal screen on wood and an HPM?
Definitely
and what are the differences between the pieces? Is there a difference in the printing process? How can you tell a wood piece is an HPM? Is there a difference in the printing process?
BrokeFromArt
Swindler

Post by BrokeFromArt »

OK - I tried doing a little looking and only got more confused.

camp barbosa calls them "hand painted multiples" - I always thought it was "hand pulled multiples" - as in the screen was personally pulled by the artist on the piece.

Also on EBeans - there is a sunset "HPM wood edition " listed - but also a "wood edition"

I am curious because I have an MLK on wood. The giant.org gallery lists it as an HPM on wood. Ebeans has it listed as "wood edition."

???? Is there a "fine art" dictionary or are all these terms just thrown around?
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

HPM's have hand collaged and spraypainted elements done on the wood before it is silkscreened.

Screenprints on wood are just straight screenprints onto the wood surface, and usually have a crackle type finish to the ink.

**there are also HPM's on paper/album covers....where the paper is collaged/sprayed, then it has the imagery screenprinted over it.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

The collage elements are the big difference. They are both screened by hand.

There's been some semantic confusion over what the acronym HPM means but they all refer to what Rotten aptly descibes above.

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... 2&#p101182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
password
Giant

Post by password »

comiconart wrote:The only thing original about an HPM is the collage background. Otherwise, just another screenprint. IMO, there are so many better pieces out there for that kind of money. Add $2k and buy Revs' Chinese Soldiers stencil collage. 100% original, and a much larger piece. To me, these screenprints on wood/metal are only "fine art" as a result of where they are sold...in an art gallery. I can understand $2500 - $4000 depending on image...but anything more than that seems excessive.
The only thing different between screening and stenciling is that paint goes though a silkscreen on one and through an aerosol can in the other. You seem to place too much importance between them. The stencils are machine cut and they just spray onto the surface. Granted, stenciling is more desirable due to the human element and aesthetic factors and therefore commands a premium, but it's not like you are getting a free-hand painted image that is drastically different than a silkscreened one.

The classification and boundaries of "fine art" is a totally different matter and it seems that by your definition, only anything that contains stenciled elements is considered fine art.
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

drew55 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0426592829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like "This price will look very cheap in two years." Nice sale history as well.

All bubbles eventually pop.
I don't know about $10k but peace bomber is one of Shep's stronger images/designs and it looks pretty amazing on metal.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

hundreddollarhorse wrote:
I don't know about $10k but peace bomber is one of Shep's stronger images/designs and it looks pretty amazing on metal.

I'm biased, but I like the 12" album cover one a lot in the square format. I know most people wouldn't want another peace bomber image, but I wish there was a square peace bomber print the same size as the pattern ones.
password
Giant

Re:

Post by password »

Will be interested to see how much this goes for also.
Last edited by password on Thu May 28, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

password wrote:
comiconart wrote:The only thing original about an HPM is the collage background. Otherwise, just another screenprint. IMO, there are so many better pieces out there for that kind of money. Add $2k and buy Revs' Chinese Soldiers stencil collage. 100% original, and a much larger piece. To me, these screenprints on wood/metal are only "fine art" as a result of where they are sold...in an art gallery. I can understand $2500 - $4000 depending on image...but anything more than that seems excessive.
The only thing different between screening and stenciling is that paint goes though a silkscreen on one and through an aerosol can in the other. You seem to place too much importance between them. The stencils are machine cut and they just spray onto the surface. Granted, stenciling is more desirable due to the human element and aesthetic factors and therefore commands a premium, but it's not like you are getting a free-hand painted image that is drastically different than a silkscreened one.

The classification and boundaries of "fine art" is a totally different matter and it seems that by your definition, only anything that contains stenciled elements is considered fine art.
The difference between a hand stenciled piece and screen print is huge, actually. It's not the same result at all.

Also, most of the screens are cut by hand. Only the more detailed background textures are cut by a machine. Unless this is how they are doing it in '09.
BrokeFromArt
Swindler

Post by BrokeFromArt »

So the HPM on wood of the MLK looks like this:

and the Screenprint on wood is this:

The screenprinting is exactly the same on both of these. Both have the wood crackling effect. The only difference appears to be the collaged type of background.