Patillac13 (Pat Jensen)

Artist-members sharing their work.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re: Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

Patillac13 wrote:This is going to be the biggest venture down one of my particular creative avenues to date. So the worst case scenario is that it will be a great learning experience. The people I'm working with are super cool, too.
:shock: Murphy's Law was in full effect tonight Ladies and Gentlemen! I just got done with my biggest photoshoot to date (wasn't too big, pretty chill, but I haven't done anything like this yet). I shot some photos of one of my coworker's bands (not playing a show, but posing for group shots)... Wow. All I can say is that I'm definitely wearing the "Amateur Photographer" button around for a while longer. I was having troubles with just about everything, and I'm sure it was showing pretty bad.

Anyways, I will hopefully be able to post some images from the shoot on here (I'll get clearance from them first, then I'll maybe put 'em up on flickr, too). It was definitely a learning experience, I'm very glad the guys were super cool and patient. Now, I really hope I didn't botch the first impression too bad. I think it'll be up to how the photos turn out in the end mainly, so for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed :D (I have all of the files uploading onto my computer as I type).

They have a new 2-CD out, one CD is a bit heavier electric, and the other is acoustic. I really dig their earthy acoustic sound, you can give 'em a listen over at their myspace if you want (or 30 second previews on iTunes). http://www.myspace.com/seazonofthefly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Cool! Lookin forward to seeing pics! :)
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Any pics yet dude?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

slidingaround wrote:Any pics yet dude?
I'm going to give them a CD with some preview files on it, they will pick their favorites, then I'm going to edit the few they choose. We will be having a second shoot in about a month or so, because there were some things that they want to try out differently with their wardrobe, and I want to do some different things as well.

After I find out which ones they like the best and get them edited I will post them up (I'd prefer to wait until they pick their favorites, though, so I don't put up anything that they don't want up). They might not want any of this shot to be used, I'll have to wait and see. I edited one photo to show them the style and outcome of the shoot I was going for, and will be providing them with all of the photos to look through.

I think it'll be a great progression, though. I'll hopefully be shooting more group photos for press-kit type stuff, flyers and other various uses. It'll be neat to see, if they use my photos for those things. I want to get some live photos of them, too.

Thanks for asking about the photos! I'll try to keep this thread updated.

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Sounds interesting man, keep us up to date!
swellstylez
Posse

Re:

Post by swellstylez »

slidingaround wrote:Sounds interesting man, keep us up to date!
Sounds interesting! Would like to see the outcome.
My Obey Collection: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

swellstylez wrote:
slidingaround wrote:Sounds interesting man, keep us up to date!
Sounds interesting! Would like to see the outcome.
Thanks for the interest you two, I'll try to get something posted on here soon. I should be giving them all of the preview files on CD tomorrow (Monday) at work, and I'm not sure how long they'll take to get together and pick ouut the favorites, so I can't say for sure when I'll have them done (I know they have a "no rush" mentality about these photos, so that might affect how long it takes :D ). We are trying to stay away from cheesy ideas and cliche band photos, but it can be difficult to think of ideas that aren't overdone all the time.

skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

congrats man, sounds interesting

i'm sure whatever you get done for them will look amazing
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

skoola wrote:congrats man, sounds interesting

i'm sure whatever you get done for them will look amazing
Thanks, Skoola. At this point, there's just some photos done and a bunch of ideas in my head, so I don't know if they are going to live up to peoples expectations (I hope they do, though! haha). I'm thinking that the more I work with the band, the more comfortable we will be working together and it will be much easier to get some of our ideas turned into reality (through photography). Hopefully, this will be the beginning to a nice long working relationship! :D

Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

I gave the band the CD with the preview photos on it, and it kinda sounds like they want to make some changes with their wardrobe, they weren't exactly all on the same page last time around. So, we're going to try to get another photo shoot rolling. Sorry that there probably won't be any photos of the band for a while.

Most, if not all, of this following stuff has been posted on here somewhere, sometime, but I figured I'd put it all in one spot:

(Haha. I made some stickers of these designs and sent them in to Obey and got a fat stack of Obey stickers in return. Nice!)

Here are a few of my favorite stencil projects:

^ NOT FOR SALE ^

(2 left for sale ;) )

(for the Obey Tribute art contest)

A few of paintings (Hmmm, just from the art contest here, I'll try to get some photos of some other paintings, too):
^ SOLD ^

^ NOT FOR SALE ^

That's what I could find on photobucket and past art contests here... if there's any interest I can try to find some of my older paintings and stuff, mainly a portrait of Salvador Dali I painted a while back (I can't remember what it looks like exactly, but I remember feeling like it was one of my best paintings for quite a while, I'm not sure what I'd think of it now, though :lol: )
Last edited by Patillac13 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

skoola
Giant

Re:

Post by skoola »

Patillac13 wrote:I gave the band the CD with the preview photos on it, and it kinda sounds like they want to make some changes with their wardrobe, they weren't exactly all on the same page last time around.
hopefully they didn't show up looking like this :shock: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbdP7sq0w8
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

skoola wrote:
Patillac13 wrote:I gave the band the CD with the preview photos on it, and it kinda sounds like they want to make some changes with their wardrobe, they weren't exactly all on the same page last time around.
hopefully they didn't show up looking like this :shock: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbdP7sq0w8
Nope, that'd be classic to rock a cheesy (by today's standards) photoshoot like this, though! I'd need to get my hands on a smoke machine... and 4 tuxedos from the 1970s :lol: It's pretty hard to not take cheesy or cliche band photos, I found out first hand.

I actually kinda like the idea of a smoke machine for the next photoshoot (no funky tuxes, though)!

Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

I finally got started working on another edition, I want to end up with a nice, small(ish), kinda unique, super affordable run when finished. It's going to be made with stencils/spraypaint (and possibly acrylic paint as well, we'll see). I haven't priced out supplies for this one yet, so it might be a little more expensive than I'm thinking, but I'd like to keep this nice and inexpensive for what it will be.

:D

More details coming soon! I'm very excited about this, I hope you all dig it!

Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Here's just a portion of the new image I'm working on, I've got a lot of stencil cutting time ahead of me, but it'd be cool to hear what you think of it so far :D I don't want to show the whole piece until I'm finished with it.

Pencil sketch, scanned in and adjusted a little bit.

Rough digital color added to give me a basic idea of what it'll look like.

Some things (colors, design, etc.) might change, but this is where I'm at right now. What do you think? Comments, criticism and feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat

slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Looks cool man, can you give us a bit more info?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

slidingaround wrote:Looks cool man, can you give us a bit more info?
Thanks! The materials are a little bit of a secret, at least until I test it out to make sure it will work as planned. The explanation won't really click yet (without seeing more of the imagery), but I first worked on the concept and imagery a few years back when I was painting a self portrait on canvas. If I can pry myself away from working on the new stencils tonight I'll try to take a photo of the older painting and do a little write upon it... :D I just recently rediscovered that canvas and it looks way different than I remembered (but it's cool to see how I've progressed and changed as an artist since then).

Before I share what my thoughts/intentions/feelings are behind it, I'd like to let people make up their own conclusions about it, but I will definitely give some more info and insight as I work.

extremeimages77
Giant

Re: Patillac13 (Pat Jensen)

Post by extremeimages77 »

i digg it
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Patillac13 wrote:
slidingaround wrote:Looks cool man, can you give us a bit more info?
Thanks! The materials are a little bit of a secret, at least until I test it out to make sure it will work as planned. The explanation won't really click yet (without seeing more of the imagery), but I first worked on the concept and imagery a few years back when I was painting a self portrait on canvas. If I can pry myself away from working on the new stencils tonight I'll try to take a photo of the older painting and do a little write upon it... :D I just recently rediscovered that canvas and it looks way different than I remembered (but it's cool to see how I've progressed and changed as an artist since then).

Before I share what my thoughts/intentions/feelings are behind it, I'd like to let people make up their own conclusions about it, but I will definitely give some more info and insight as I work.

Cool. looking forward to seeing the end result!
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

I really like it. The only thing I might add is that maybe you should try it out with a little bit brighter green before finalizing it. It wasn't until a little further inspection that I noticed you had a 4th color. Other than that it looks fantastic.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

Please keep in mind that these two images are just a portion of the full sketch... just to show a little preview. I've got a lot of prep, cutting and painting to go until I have a final piece to show.
circa77 wrote:I really like it. The only thing I might add is that maybe you should try it out with a little bit brighter green before finalizing it.

Thanks for the suggestion, the green in this area is a bit misleading, there is more green throughout the piece and it should be pretty punchy, but it's a little toned down on purpose to let some other colors really pop.
circa77 wrote:It wasn't until a little further inspection that I noticed you had a 4th color.
When you inspect some final photos (or the real thing ;) haha) when it's all finished up you'll probably notice 7 or 8 colors total. That's the plan right now, at least.
extremeimages77 wrote:i digg it
slidingaround wrote:Cool. looking forward to seeing the end result!
circa77 wrote:Other than that it looks fantastic.
Thanks guys, it's super cool (and motivating!) to read these kinds of comments, I really do appreciate it! I just hope you still dig it when you see the whole piece! Only time will tell, I suppose.

Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

Pat your work always suprises me. You have so many great ideas. If this ends up as amazing as your Rose piece I'll be cheering.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

Dizzyegg05 wrote:Pat your work always suprises me. You have so many great ideas. If this ends up as amazing as your Rose piece I'll be cheering.
Thanks Dizzy! I hope I'll give you a reason to cheer with this one... :D

skoola
Giant

Re:

Post by skoola »

Dizzyegg05 wrote:Pat your work always suprises me. You have so many great ideas. If this ends up as amazing as your Rose piece I'll be cheering.
no doubt. that rose was super nice and i'm sure this will follow suit. can't wait to see the end result.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

skoola wrote:
no doubt. that rose was super nice and i'm sure this will follow suit. can't wait to see the end result.
Thanks, Bill!

I got the first stencil cut last night and by the end of tonight I should have a few more stencils cut and hopefully one or two colors sprayed onto one or two AP/test pieces. The stencil that I cut is small but detailed (maybe my most detailed stencil ever)... I think this new piece will blow the Rose collage that I made out of the water, but I guess I'll have to wait and see once it starts coming together to really have an opinion on it. From the planning and full sketch and mockup I've done already, I think it will be one of my favorite pieces of art that I've ever made.

I'll be sure to keep this thread posted with any new info or updates that come up!