What's a good portfolio?

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something

What's a good portfolio?

Post by johnstonamerica »

Anyone have a good suggestion for a portfolio/presentation case to safely store prints that aren't going to be framed right away? Specific names/brands/sites would be helpful and much appreciated!

(I have them stored in mylar sleeves atm, which is great, but I'd like to be able to "flip" through them and show them to people a little easier)
noverflow
I think I started this

Re: What's a good portfolio?

Post by noverflow »

johnstonamerica wrote:Anyone have a good suggestion for a portfolio/presentation case to safely store prints that aren't going to be framed right away? Specific names/brands/sites would be helpful and much appreciated!

(I have them stored in mylar sleeves atm, which is great, but I'd like to be able to "flip" through them and show them to people a little easier)

I went through this also. I could not find anything worth of them... so I just use print sleeves, and have then stand stacked against a nook in my living room. Quick access to them.

But I know I wanted a bound thing originally, but I could not find anything high enough quality for under $300.
I believe prat make a good one
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

johnstonamerica wrote:Anyone have a good suggestion for a portfolio/presentation case to safely store prints that aren't going to be framed right away? Specific names/brands/sites would be helpful and much appreciated!

I've got mine in an Alvin Prestige Presentation Case...nice zip up case w/ handle with binding in the middle like 3 ring school style but w/ about 20 or so rings. It's a little pricey...around 95 dollars...comes with 10 acid-free archival sleeves that you can put prints front/back....addt'l sleeves are about 35 bucks or so for 5 sleeve packs. I found mine at a local art store..probably get em cheaper online. I got a bunch of alvin refill pages at http://www.dataprint.com for 17.95 per 5 pack...looks like they got a decent price for the case too. anyway, hope this helps.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

rotten wrote:
I've got mine in an Alvin Prestige Presentation Case...nice zip up case w/ handle with binding in the middle like 3 ring school style but w/ about 20 or so rings. It's a little pricey...around 95 dollars...comes with 10 acid-free archival sleeves that you can put prints front/back....addt'l sleeves are about 35 bucks or so for 5 sleeve packs. I found mine at a local art store..probably get em cheaper online. I got a bunch of alvin refill pages at http://www.dataprint.com for 17.95 per 5 pack...looks like they got a decent price for the case too. anyway, hope this helps.

Are the prints sleeves sealed on 3 sides? Including where the rings are. That was my main concern. The one I bought, the sleeves were just folded mylar, leaving the prints susceptible to hitting the rings, also both the top and bottoms were open.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

yep, only opening is at the top of the sleeve....no chance of your prints sliding over and hitting the rings...and the sleeves fit the prints perfectly...my only wish is that there was a little more space at the top of the sleeve so the prints don't sit so close to the opening...there's probably about 1/8-1/4 inch from the top of the sleeve, but the prints fit pretty snugly if you're doing front/back...i'm just extra careful when flipping through the portfolio that none have worked their way up and out of the sleeve a bit.

noverflow wrote:
Are the prints sleeves sealed on 3 sides? Including where the rings are. That was my main concern. The one I bought, the sleeves were just folded mylar, leaving the prints susceptible to hitting the rings, also both the top and bottoms were open.
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something

Thanks Rotten - sounds like the perfect choice. I appreciate it!
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something

Hey Rotten.. how many add'l pages do you think you could add to your case - in other words, how many total prints do you think one case will hold?

Thanks!
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

well, it comes w/ 10....and i added 20 more pages to mine w/ no problem....it's getting a bit thick, i have about 5-7 empty currently, but could probably add 10 more...and it would be pretty much as full as i'd be willing to go....so probably be able to fit 80 prints total without it getting too bloated....might be pushing it w/ 40, but seems to be fine w/ 30 pages in it.

johnstonamerica wrote:Hey Rotten.. how many add'l pages do you think you could add to your case - in other words, how many total prints do you think one case will hold?

Thanks!
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

The one I bought, the sleeves were just folded mylar, leaving the prints susceptible to hitting the rings, also both the top and bottoms were open.
Yea that hitting the rings stuff is B.S. I have a portfolio, and I also have something, I think it was made by Prat, that's like a suitcase, for overflow.
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something

Rec'd the Alvin Prestige Presentation Case mentioned above from dataprint.com and LOVE it! :D

My extra prints fit PERFECTLY in the sleeves, they will be very well protected, the sleeves are archival quality, easy to flip through - and display beautifully to show friends.

I ordered it on thursday morning and it came friday afternoon - only paid for ground shipping.

I really want to thank Rotten again for the great advice on this one - it worked out great. Just what you'd expect from a helpful forum!! I'd recommend this portfolio to anyone who may be looking for a good way to store their extra prints.

Thanks Rotten! :D
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

no worries...i really like mine...and dataprint is great....super fast shipping

johnstonamerica wrote:Rec'd the Alvin Prestige Presentation Case mentioned above from dataprint.com and LOVE it! :D

My extra prints fit PERFECTLY in the sleeves, they will be very well protected, the sleeves are archival quality, easy to flip through - and display beautifully to show friends.

I ordered it on thursday morning and it came friday afternoon - only paid for ground shipping.

I really want to thank Rotten again for the great advice on this one - it worked out great. Just what you'd expect from a helpful forum!! I'd recommend this portfolio to anyone who may be looking for a good way to store their extra prints.

Thanks Rotten! :D